Wednesday, September 17, 2014

still stuck in bed...

last night I thought for sure I was getting better. I remember emailing a few people saying yes I would be back to work and feeling good! But I was wrong.. I thought I could eat,... i did eat... but that just put me back on the path to the bathroom.  Honestly I think I have lost 20 pounds since arriving here.. We call it "the African diet".  Nothing taste right, nothing is right, and things are their actual size here.... so you eat less or get sick and eat nothing at all except drink coke and suck on "now and laters"...
What's great is how Michelle is prepared for this... Last night as I started to feel ill again, she gave me  medication for a infection that she said I should be on for the next five days... I took it...As I was sitting on the toilet, she came in and said.."take this... it's for diarrhea "... as I was hugging the toilet later she said .... " take this, it's for vomitting." thanks honey..

We have to religiously take our malaria meds and that is an easy one to remember to take. Upon arrival we spoke to the kids about a few important rules while here in Malawi.

1. don't drink the water, and don't use the water for things that go in your mouth (toothbrushes, etc)
2. be careful where you walk... there are holes everywhere.. michelle and I were walking the other day into a store and there was a giant hole in the concrete that I could have easily fallen into..(lawsuit waiting to happen back home)
3. take your pill everyday... this point was mostly for our daughter Frances who abhors taking medicine and the first night she put up a huge fight... when we looked her in the eye and told her how important it was to take medicine, she's bucked up and takes it every night.. Is it bad to tell your kids honestly that if you don't take your pill, you could get malaria , get very sick and potentially die???
In this case, I thought it was a good source of motivation and we haven't had an issue since... she's actually done a complete 360 and is the first to ask to take the pill.

kids have a soccer game today after school and Kate has swimming tip 4:30.. michelle and I are contemplating taking Argentinian tango lessons(of all things) at some place in town and need to focus on exercising.. it is hard here..
We are finding out that there are quite a few nice things to do here in town on the weekend... there's a place called "harry's bar" that is kid friendly, plays kids movies on a big screen outside on saturday nights... and on friday nights has a viewing of classic rock concerts on the big screen.. this weekend is  "AC/DC live at Donnignton"..  it's the little things that make it ok here..

Cutltural note..... BIKES....... they are the key to employment here.. at least that's what I gather.. It was said in Botswana that if you had a wheelbarrow you could get a job.. here, if you have a bike, you can get a job... Bikes are used for mobility and as a wheelbarrow. On sunday I met with Cam and Rabina (they take care of our home)... we are helping them buy a plot of land to build their own home.. she took me to her home village which was bustling with activity.. shops, bars, etc.. when I was leaving their home, Cam told her to drive back with me to the main road.. he was concerned I would get hassled driving down the main road by myself.. since I am white.. She agreed and told me it was no problem.. she'd just grab a bike ride back home.. guys charge 100 kwacha for a bike ride (25cents) and they have padded seats on the back of them.. the bikes here are amazing... they are rigged with shelves, flatbeds, everything.. they are used to transport all kinds of items and the little the street when you drive anywhere..

Ok.. i think that is all for now... another beautiful , breezy, sunny warm day in Africa.. as seen from my bed.. hope all is well at home.
bike taxi

bike for hauling goods.. in this case a chicken coupe


my view today