Tuesday, May 13, 2008

school starts tomorrow


I had thought over the weekend that the kids were going back to school on Monday of this week. Well , I was wrong... The kids had yesterday and today off as well, and head back full time tomorrow.. it's been a long, restful, holiday and I think the kids are ready for their return. We went up and bought their winter versions of their uniforms today and they are now set.
Michelle and I had the wonderful opportunity of opening up a local bank account yesterday.. It took us 2.5 hours.... It was awesome.. We headed to the Main Mall, waited in line, filled out some paperwork, waited in line again and finally got it set up... i knew the line was bad when people from Botswana started to complain about the wait...


Today, I went to the Air Botswana office today to finalize some things for my sister and brother who are coming in a month, and have gotten the best service ever.. A woman named Khumo has helped me the past 3 times I've been there and is constantly calling me to ask questions, finalize details , etc. It has been a real pleasant surprise, the local customer service has always been a bit lacking.


We had a nice Mother's day, took michelle for ice cream to sanitas (which has a tea garden and playground for the kids)in the afternoon and had a nice dinner in the evening.. http://www.sanitas.co.bw/

Michelle is working in Mochudi today( the picture above) about a 45 minute drive from gabs while the kids enjoy their last day of relaxation. Here's a video from mochudi to give you an idea of the place michelle works on tuesdays.

As for us, we are eating Skyline this evening to celebrate the return to school.

I apologize for the uneventfulness of these past entries.. Life has become a bit patterned and uneventful... but please keep up with us.... We are planning big stuff soon.... maybe.

Hope that holds your interest for at least 5 more months.
If there's anything anyone would like to know about any facet of life here that you feel I may need to cover, please let me know.... Perhaps you could email me and dare me to do something or maybe make a video of something you'd like to see. We could make this blog like a call in/request show. I plan on going back out to take photos and more videos of the villages once the kids go back to school, so i'm really looking forward that.

One note about the video.. i think the song is "hitching a ride" and the video may highlight this aspect of life here... I didn't get through the whole thing, our internet is too slow... but I should note that hitching rides is totally normal and widely accepted.. We normally give people rides all the time when travelling through the country and surrouding areas... It's actually alot of fun and is greatly appreciated by those you give the ride to..
All for now.