Wednesday, May 14, 2008

German print, school starts and Steven









good day today, the kids went back to school and had a nice day. We are back in full swing now and afternoon activities start back up next week. jacob leaves for his class trip, a week in Durban with his classmates. They fly to Durban next Wednesday. I remember going to the zoo or Kings Island for my class trip..... Never went to Durban




Went shopping for german print fabric today and stumbled into joyce's shop..she is a dress maker here, specializing specifcally in traditional botswana dresses, hats and embroidery... They are great dresses, she tried to sell me a shirt, but I told her a white man just doesn't look as cool in it .... I tried it on, she told me i looked "authenic", I told her she was full of it. Here's a few photos of her and her shop... The German print is not authentic Botswana, but the usage of it is.. it is their style of clothing, worn for special occasions(weddings, etc.)... Joyce makes shoes, hats,etc out of it... I plan on her making some pilow cases for us.... She won 3rd place at the arts fair this year for her work.

In other photos is our guard Steven.... He is built like a linebacker, but as sweet as can be. he recently had a child pass away, i think that happened in january.....He now has 3 children. I have been wanting to take his photo since he's been working here, and had a chance today.. he loved the photos, was looking at them still an hour after i gave them to him. he told me he looked beautiful and wants me to take photos of him in his suit ...
it is now May 14th and he hasn't had a day off of work since mid february... He told me yesterday he wants to try and take a sunday off so he can go to church.....
can you imagine? everyday from 6am-6pm.. He watches the day pass by peering over top our wall, reading week old newspapers and sittng under a tree.. he makes about 8 bucks a day. But he is always so kind to us and our kids... I want to bring him back home with us.... He brings his own water boiler and radio that we bought him for Xmas everyday...makes tea and listens to the radio...

also photographed was BK, a young guy who has been doing odd jobs around our property for the past 8 months(first photo). He's a cool guy who I think has a crush on Celeste. One other photo... a clothesline near our home. a killer dog lives there.

We had dinner last night at jeff and Jen's house.. they had visitors in from tennessee who were taking in the local sites.
all for now.. hope all is well at home.