Friday, September 5, 2014

enough to make you crazy... and carlos zambrano, ted Lilly and pokey Reese

Let me know say before starting that I love this place.. i really do.. In my short time here and in our years living in Botswana, I love southern Africa.. I can't speak for other regions..Why else would we put ourselves through this again??  The pace of life, the kindness of the people, the absolute beauty....
But at the same time, it is sometimes just too much.. There are moments when you just wish you could get from point A to B without any issues... without seeing things such as absolute helplessness, poverty, illness, etc..   but it comes with the territory I suppose. It is difficult to see some days and it makes you realize how damn lucky we really are.. and I know that the things I encounter barely scratch the surface..

I will never go to the grocery store on a friday at 4 pm again..

I will spare you some of the details, but let's just say I ran around in circles again and got nothing accomplished.. Ill give you a glimpse though.

My van is almost ready, but apparently they put the wrong type of liquids in it, and it'll cost me another 100$ to change out..

Then , I went to the cable company, waited 25 minutes (the whole time being cut in line, but what are you going to do?) to pay my bill and ask for an upgrade(thought it would be a treat since the kids are arriving ).. When I got to the window, the man said he didn't think it was possible to upgrade today, because they were very busy... note: all he had to do was take my giant wad of Kwacha and I would call when I got home, and they would update my system..
He asked if I could come back tomorrow.. .. I laughed, said no problem, and went on my way.. I went to the shop to pick up a few things in anticipation of the family arriving.. The store had nothing.. there was not a single thing that I thought about purchasing on the shelves.... so I bought a bag of lays potato chips and some corn on the cob.. On a good note, they did have our favorite beer in stock (Windhoek ) so I did grab that... I actually couldn't believe it.
When I went out to the car, I was asked by a man walking on his hands (he had shoes on his hands ) for some food... You are advised not to give out money, because many of the people are told to beg for money,, then have to give up the money to another person.. and if you do give money, next time you may be asked by a bigger group.. I kindly said no, then was asked by a young boy for money or food as he was starving. i kindly said no, then was asked to buy bananas as I got into my car.. Then as you pull out of the store, the middle of the road is littered with siblings walking with their handicapped or blind relatives asking for money.. It feels like a war zone some days, and I think today was one of them.. Who can help these people?  The health care here is so bad, disease is rampant, and all i hear is.. just wait until malaria season...
But somehow, the people here are kind,  and seem very peaceful. I do love this place...but it is sometimes hard not to miss home.

 oh yeah, then I got pulled over again and was harassed about the fact that I didn't know when my driver's license expired. I told him " I can tell you when it expires if you let me see my card."  then he said, "are you going to drink all those beers by yourself (looking in the backseat)?"  I said, " not right now, but eventually."
He laughed and told me to speak kindly to others about his country...  I told him I would..

There is a certain swagger here by the locals.. I don't have it, and you can point an American out of the crowd like a sore thumb... we have backpacks, nalgene bottles and usually wearing a nice pair of sunglasses.  The Malawians carry themselves with confidence and can pull off clothing like nobody's business.. It's a different style from Botswana... less stylish, expensive clothing and more of a thrift store appeal.. but they look great ... This morning, I saw a Cubs Carlos Zambrano jersey, a Pokey Reese jersey, a Ted Lilly jersey,  Michigan Wolverines, Kentucky Wildcats, Hannah Montana , a Kool Aid man tshirt, all worn by adult men.. and looking cool as all get out. I'm sure none of them are fans of National League Central Division early 2000's baseball.

Ok, I need to stop. It is getting dark and I need to grill some food.  I am anticipating the arrival of my family and am obviously very excited. It also means one day closer to when Ill see Jacob over the Xmas break.  I just received a text (thanks Katie!) that they are on their way to the airport.. The adventure begins for my kids... they may poop their pants when they get off the plane.. the drive to town from the airport is a giant sensory overload and immediately you know  you are no where near Fort Thomas, Kentucky..

Thanks to all those who have helped Michelle these past several weeks.. There are alot to thank and it makes us realize what great people we have been fortunate to have in our lives.. Please stay in touch and know how much we appreciate your friendship..

No photos today. Hope all is well at home