Thursday, September 4, 2014

Another beautiful day here in Lilongwe.. Sunny , bright and mid 70's during the day.. I teach with my windows and my door wide open... Not necessarily by choice,  they just installed a great new door but it doesn't close.. so,  I just keep it open.. something wrong with the way they installed it..
 People who see the room love it and rightly so.. it's a great classroom.. but they wonder whether they will put bars in front of the windows to keep robbers out.. People who have lived here long enough know that anything is fair game if not protected.. and a giant glass/ see through window is probably not a great thing.

Not much going on today.. headed to a neighbors for dinner.. and awaiting my family to arrive on Sunday. I have arranged for a flatbed truck to pick up all the bags from the airport... We have purchased a van here as well and that will hopefully be ready by sunday.

Things here feel very normal and I apologize for the lack of anything very exciting happening.. but things will probably change when the kids get here...

did I mention I had to go out and buy another bulb for the outside lights today??? you want to here about it??? everything is an adventure here.. and this time... it only took me 3 stores to get it right.  First store was closed (not sure why) , second store did not have light , but the third one I got it right.. I'm learning.

For your perusal today is a photo of a billboard that welcomes all visitors to the beautiful city of Lilongwe ...In front of it are signs for various shops, etc.. this is the mode of advertising.. Most signs I see around town are hand painted... I think the large Lilongwe Billboard speaks for itself.. so much to do here..

The other photo is a beautiful bar/ restaurant on the outskirts of town.. On sundays they have jazz and set up lawn chairs for people to sit and relax with a cold beverage.. I don't know if i've posted this photo..

Also  is a photo of two co-workers.. the one in the red jacket is the best dressed man on campus.. The other is a teacher from the US... both great people,, The Malawian just knows how to dress better than all of us..

And lastly, bars on my living room windows.... all our windows are covered in these bars.. sometimes you feel a little caged in.. but it is there to keep intruders out.
Hope all is well at home...
School co-workers

WELCOME!!



Chameleons bar