Friday, September 12, 2014

friday here too!!!

The weekend is upon us. Kids have survived their first four days of school and haven't cursed our name yet for moving them 8000 miles away from everything they know.. I was able to teach Maura, Jude and Frances today for the first time and have to admit, they are perfect.  They sat and worked diligently for the whole class period and probably had the most creative pieces of artwork I have  ever seen.. I'm a bit partial.  In all honesty, they were good. We are at that age where they will still hug you and give you a kiss in front of their classmates without a hitch.. Kate's a different story.

Our van------- oh how much fun this is!!! After having the window busted out the other day, I was driving it yesterday and it started to sound as if it was stuck in low gear. Not sure what the problem is, but taking it to get looked at this afternoon. Waiting in line for 40 minutes to pay my cable bill , plus the problem with the van pushed me over the edge yesterday.. I let my guard down for about an hour and finally shed a few tears  for about five minutes.. Malawi 1- Me 0.. I just wanted things to go smoothly.. I kept my cool with everything else.. but yesterday made me miss normalcy..  It's good to have family here.. Michelle came home, I told her my state of mind and she talked me back up..  She's great that way.
You reach breaking points every once in a while, and for some reason I hit mine .. that was the first time since I've been here..  You sometimes wonder if you have to psyche yourself up for this place..
No , it's great waiting in line forever !!! it's great that the power goes out!! it's great that the Wii almost burst into flames the other day when I plugged it in (even though it was on a power converter and surge protector (this is true).... the Wii is dead now.., it's great that the water quality is poor and you can't take a reliable shower.. All those simple things in the US are not here and yesterday my enthusiasm for this place hit a wall... But, nothing a few minutes of solace, grilling some chicken and a cold beer can't fix. It is nice here and I do enjoy it..I sat outside, watched the sun go down,  assessed the situation, listened to my wife and realized this stuff isn't really a big deal.  But man it can be trying when you're used to life at home.

We are going to try to head to the lake tomorrow but not sure for how long.. We had a place rented , but may have to break the reservation due to the fact that we don't have our van.. but We may give it a shot.. We have to drive through sand and i'm not really sure where we are headed.. but we have nothing else to do and these are the reasons you come to places like this. Have to take advantage of the opportunities.. As many people have said.. if you get stuck, there will be plenty of locals willing to help you get out (for a small fee).

One last note.. the kids made the swim team.. Kate made the "A" team while the little ones made the "b" team.. practice is 4 days a week.. I have to commend Kate again.. I don't think she necessarily wants to swim, but she realizes its an opportunity to be active and social... They have several "galas"dduring the year and potentially some travel.. Apparently there is a big meet here later in the year vs. teams from Tanzania and Zambia..

Picture of the day is a photo of your standard Malawian broom.. I think it similar to most in this part of the world.. Our gardener Cam uses it to gather leaves and the rake the dirt..  Most gardeners routinely rake the dirt to make it looked manicured.. It's very good looking, especially when there is no grass to be seen.