Sunday, September 7, 2014

Michelle and the kids have landed in South Africa and..... the saga continues

Got a Skype video call from Michelle and the kids.. By the time you read this at home, they should be in Malawi.. Sounds like the flight was great and the kids were well behaved.. I remember the last time we made this trek, the twins were a year and half, Maura was two and a half and Kate and Jacob were much younger as well. We flew standby and were scattered all over the plane.

I am supposed to pick up my van this morning to go and pick up the family at the airport.. I received a text at 630 am  that stated there was an accident with the car. A gentleman at the school was putting a roof rack on the van for me, and apparently shattered the back right window.. It's totally gone and glass was everywhere. I think I was visibly upset when I went to assess the damage.. As stated many times, things never go like you think they will.. So, I am without a van as that has to be fixed.. The thing is, I don't know who is supposed to pay for this... At home, it's a no brainer.  I have this sick feeling that the only person that can pay for it is me.  Lots of headaches.

On a good note, I went to town center yesterday to pick up a few items and stumbled on some traditional malawian dancing.. Here's a video of the band playing.. They have makeshift guitars and bass.. The video does not do the music justice.. it was great to see.

All for now today as I gain my composure and look forward to reuniting with my family
Here are a few more photos from yesterday..  The bread aisle at the grocery store.. and here's how you buy  bulk beer and soda...they still use the old bring in your bottles and crates for a refund routine (which I love)....