Wednesday, September 3, 2014

getting things accomplished???

I took the day off yesterday from blogging as I was busy heading around town and being productive!! actually two days in a row.. Of course, my afternoons have been taken up with errands that would take 20 minutes back in the US.. When you move here, people tell you that whatever time something took you at home to accomplish, multiply it by 3 here.. and that's very true. 1 trip to Lowes to get paint, a paintbrush and a outside bulb for the house = 30 minutes at home.. It actually took about 5 hours here and at least 6 stores.. One of the stores I can't take what i purchased back (too  much of a hassle), the other stores did not have what I needed... Today I found paint, a brush, a bulb and i found a grocery store that 1) takes visa and 2) has an excellent wine selection!!! What a day.  I have been busy at school and very excited to reunite with my family... Apparently Jacob is doing well at UC and rarely texts me, but he is in touch and seems to be doing great.. No news is good news ,right?

One side note... at the paint shop, I asked the guy at the counter if they had swatches of paint.. at home, there are 800 types of white paint.. I looked at the swatches and asked if they had white ( i didn't see any on the brochure he showed me.. he said "why would we have white? white is white.. " sold!!! After purchasing the paint, I came home and started touching up some of the walls that have red dust, marks etc on them..  I noticed that most of the walls have small turds on them near the base of the ceiling.. not many, but just a few on each wall. I started to freak out thinking there was a severe bat problem here (which wouldn't be bad since mosquitos here are deadly).. but it turns out, they are turds left over by the geckos that sneak in and out of the crevices.. they're cute turds... just like the geckos that leave them.. now they are painted over..

School is going well. I am really enjoying teaching my high school students.. they seem to enjoy my class and are eager to learn..

I have gotten into a routine of taking a walk each evening to watch the sun set. Tonight was like most nights.... absolutely beautiful ..
Each evening as the sun goes down, the mosque in the middle of town sings and it resonates throughout the city... attached is a sound clip of what my street sounds like as I walk at night. Not sure of the quality... Not much else to report.. all is well.

Kindergarteners

JOKE OF THE DAY IN LOCAL PAPER