Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Birthday Maura!!!

Today is Maura's 10th birthday... This is usually on of my favorite days of the year back home and I think we are all kind of missing the excess that is Halloween.. A fire pit, cold weather and the smell of October... But I was able to find box cake mix(pillsbury) for 6 $ a box and we have made a cake, cupcakes and will hit a restaurant of her choice after the swim meet. Tomorrow, we have promised her a trip to a local craft store to pick out something for her gift..

All is well here today, have a swim meet tonight and a soccer tournament tomorrow.
Yesterday was a classic trip to the grocery store... Went to pick up a few things, ended up waiting in line for 30 minutes.. A gentleman in front of me had a grocery bill of 274,000 kwacha. They had to count and recount several times and then, he questioned the receipt.. so they had to go back in a change one of the items.. Which required a manager's approval ... then a recounting of the kwacha..

When I took my groceries out to my car, I was accosted by 5 guys trying to sell me oranges, bananas, baskets, nuts and a Jehovah's Witness...

I also went to have a key made the other day for our truck. We only have one copy so I thought it was essential to get a copy. After getting the copy made, the original wouldn't work in the ignition switch.. I didn't realize this for a day or so because I was using the copy.. When I did realize it, I took the key back , the guy said because it was "old"... He would be happy to make me a new copy, but the power was out.. "Another day huh?" was stated, and i came back the day..

below, some great photos of our beautiful, wonderful middle child, a classic African safari truck where it actually makes sense to have a Range Rover, (this is the only vehicle I've ever seen that has a bumper sticker that says "Hakuna Matata" and isn't referring to "the Lion King"... the line in the grocery store..

Ok, gotta go.. 4th grade coming into the room.. ! Happy Halloween back home.. I miss it.

Added note.. right after I let my 4th graders in my classroom (Maura's in the class) about 5 maintenance workers sprinted past my front door chasing a mongoose.. I'm pretty sure the mongoose went into the library as the guys walked into library. (they made sure they were quiet)... The gardeners killed the mongoose... .. this stuff doesn't happen in fort thomas