Monday, August 25, 2014

Never again

Last night was a bit of a debacle. I was expecting a delivery of my wicker patio furniture during the afternoon. Why did I possibly think it would go smoothly?The gentleman texted me and said he would be here after 2... I waited and then decided to take a long walk ... it was getting dark when I got back to the house and Joseph the guard stated that he never came.. I had Joseph call the delivery man for me as to not lose anything in translation. Turns out, the guy was actually just outside of the city with my furniture but was in need of a car to get the items to me... It seems he was in an accident and may or may not have hit someone on the side of the road.. Joseph said, "he is a good man".. i ask how he knew and he said because he stopped for the accident.  We have actually been advised not to stop if you hit a pedestrian.. What we have been advised to do is drive to the nearest police station and tell someone. On occasion, a mod scene will develop at a site of an accident , or some other occurance, and people will take matters into their own hands...

Well it is now pitch black, my car is tiny and I'm not exactly sure where we are going. Joseph goes with me, we drive through the city and about 10 minutes outside the city. Most guide books will tell to never drive at night here.. and they are right.. there are no lights, cars with no lights, people riding their bikes, walking, etc.. It is frightening and I will never do it again. Aside from the darkness, people have no regard for traffic rules.. some of the traffic lights work, and if they do, they are optional. If you are too slow, people will go right around you.

We were finally successful in location the guy and strapped the couches to the top of my car as other vehicles whizzed past us..

Glad to be alive and will never go out again. It's funny, you have to really plan your day up until 5:30.  after that, shut it down.

Today was a good full day of teaching. The kids are great. My classroom is still not ready but we did receive all of the personal items we sent over in April. They have been cleared and I will sleeping with a brand new pillow this evening.

For today, here's some photos of our house.. it's a nice place but you have locks for every single door. There are padlocks on the doors on the porch, padlocks on the entrance door. A lock for the hallway door,  and locks for each bedroom.  Not used to that aspect of life here. The house is wonderful though and in a great neighborhood. Quiet and not too busy..  also, during my walk i witnessed an amazing sunset.... 5 30 is the time... the video does no justice ..






All for now.