Thursday, August 14, 2014

1 week, pulled over 5 times by police and 100$ coolers for sale.

I've been here for a week. I've been pulled over by the police 5 times.. but not like they do in the USA.. the police that have pulled me over have been just standing by the side of the road.. They stand on the side of the road and wave me to the pull over .... 4 out of five times i've been pulled over at the same location.. not for violating any laws, they pull me over to ask "where are you going?" .. it's on the way to the school i will be working at, so I tell them where i am headed,.. they say "ok, this girl needs a ride to so and so".... which so far has been further than my destination. the woman is usually very pretty, so I'm assuming he's trying to help out a fellow citizen.. I expect it to continue..

Today was a nice quiet, productive day. I went to school to work, and returned around 4 pm. I realized i needed a few things to grill, so i went down the road to pick up a few items... bad idea.
the soccer game up the road had just let out and the streets were swarmed with people walking home. all traffic rules were violated and I was stuck in traffic for 30 minutes.. I could have walked to the shop, gathered my items and been home ... but there i was stuck in the middle of a road surrounded by people . it got worse as I inched closer to the street light.. which were working today.. that usually doesn't happen as well.  Once I finally arrived at the shop I decided to window shop for a little bit as I knew the street crowds were still filing through the streets.. no rush.. I was at "Game", a sort of wal-mart of africa.. the prices of things are so outrageous it is unbelievable. they were selling regular , hard bodied coolers for 100$.. I couldn't believe it.. some items here are so ridiculously expensive, i have no idea who can afford them.. but local fruits and vegetables (which you can buy from street vendors) are extremely affordable.. just can't afford to keep them in a cooler... the video is some of the crown moving down our street.
sunset at school

bicycle on the road (holding a tub)

Missing home and family a little bit today..