Monday, August 11, 2014

Day to day frustrations for first world needs..

I am sitting at the sunbird hotel drinking african tea and trying to access the internet so I can do a little bit of work prior to starting school next week.  A young man named Chimwemwe (which means Happiness) is teaching me some chichewa words .. I am trying to use the language more as it is appreciated if you attempt to learn some of the local language. Last night I tried to say good evening to three little girls and gave them a good laugh.. . Today I have been driving around all over town trying to set up internet at our home.  It is very expensive and unreliable , but we have to have it.
I also have been trying to get DSTV (cable tv) so our family and residents from Cincy Childrens have a little bit of something from home... the only difference is there is little ESPN and instead cricket and rugby.. which I kind of enjoy.

I went to DSTV shop, purchased a monthly subscription.. this comes in a card form, which you slide into a receiver at the house. Unfortunately I needed an AV cord, which the cable company did not sell. I also needed a remote.. which they sold for about 30$. I drove to 8 electronic strores, none of which had an AV cord..

During my drive around town, I was able to get my bearings on the roads , some more driving experience, etc.. there are huge potholes, people riding bikes, people riding bikes while balancing huge mounds of wood on their heads, while carting around another person.. it feels risky to be driving, but if you take your time and keep both hands on the while, you'll manage. Im sure it just takes getting used to.. there are also boys on the side of the road selling cooked mice on a stick as well as live birds, flapping away in their hands..

I also made it to the local golf club.. the Lilongwe Golf Club.. but I haven't received my clubs yet.. no one at baggage answers the phone.. I may have to just make the trek out there and see for myself.
The club is nice.. 18 holes, a swimming pool, restaurant and bar, and clay tennis courts ( or dirt I think) ..  60$ a month to join.  I need my clubs. In a moment of weakness I gave my phone number to a young man who claimed to be the the golf teacher at the club.. big mistake..He has called me 5 times today asking when I am coming for a lesson.

I met Our house keeper Rubina today for the first time. She tends to the home while her husband Kam takes care of our wonderful big dusty yard.. The kids are going to love it. They have a young boy named William that walks around the yard playing or is strapped to her back while she does the laundry or other duties. When I left a few hours ago, William was falling asleep on her back while she was ironing and singing.. It was nice and made me miss my own family.

I think that's it for now. I hope to have photos started soon. It takes way to long to upload from where I am and hope to get a good connection tomorrow.  Hopefully we can locate a router..