Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More from the 'hood





Wednesday here in gabs, the government is meeting to decide whether or not MOnday will be a holiday as well.. As it stands, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday and Wednesday are part of the holiday, but not Monday.... I have a suspicion that they'll make monday part of the independence day (week) celebration...

Jacob and Kate will be celebrating at their school as will Maura.. on Friday..
We have our first softball match tomorrow afternoon... I hope for a big turnout, let me know if you can make it.. the kids on the team, trying to be funny, huddle together before heading out to the field and say.. "Defense Ya'll!!!" Making fun of our crazy American accents.... I would rather say.. "good show ole boys" but they nixed that..

Today I've been around town doing some shopping with the twins.... They always get the attention they deserve from the locals and are always very pleasant with the check out women at Pic-n-Pay.. I think he has a thing for Tshepo, a girl who usually takes care of us.. As I am doing my silly and meaningless tasks around town, I realize that soon this will all be over..... No more "Dumelas" or "Sharpo" or being the complete minority and loving it.. No more buying bad meat, bad milk, going to gas stations that have no gas, roaches in your coffee(this morning), and clothes that you hang out to dry but end up more dirty that when you began simply because of the dirt in the air...No more star filled nights, moons that are as big as the sky.., blah , blah , blah .. another thing, occassionally we will be watching Animal Planet and the kids will say... "we've seen that!" What a bunch of animal snobs.. They will be never asked to go to the Zoo when we get home because no one will want to hear their stories about how they slept out in the bush with those, or.. "yeah they were around us..." . But I'm glad for their experiences.. they have been nothing but awesome this whole time we've been here.

The uncomplicated days of doing nothing and just being with the kids and Michelle are coming to an end.......It is very sad to think about, but I know that it's going to be a roller coaster ride of emotions , thoughts, etc for the next few months...
Really, living in Africa is wonderful. But for our kids who are used to routines, competitive sports, sleepovers and family and friends always being around... 18 months is plenty of time to be away.. the kids are itching to go home and rightly so... There are days when I still can't believe we are here..

Today I thought I'd give you a few photos of more people from around the 'hood...There is Michael, who insists on watching my car each time I go to BBS Mall. Matron,my friend at the bottle shop up the street. Tebojo(in blue shirt) the check out security guard at Choppies(grocery store) and some goats huddled underneath a tree, which is right off the side of the road in town...
I will miss all of these people... even the goats.. Well, I won't miss Michael so much.. he's a little pushy..

Ok enough of my silly talk... Point is.... I will miss it here when we leave.. I've said this a million times... I plan on saying it a few more times before we leave.
Going to pick up Maura from school.. There's a security guard there, named Mothusi...
He gives me thumbs up everyday.. I'll miss him too.