Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Living it up the African way

After our trip to some of the poorer regions of Souther Africa, I decided to do a little experiment with the kids..
Kate is having a very hard time eating anything that isn't chicken or bread, so I decided to try and show her how fortunate she is to have so many options for lunch, breakfast and dinner.. Michelle and I decided that instead of soup, sandwiches, juice, milk, fruit, etc for today, that she'd eat like the average Botswana child..
Jacob decided to participate as well... and now I have been hooked into the deal
For breakfast they had tea, lunch- they'll have porridge, and the same for dinner- .

It's lunch time now, and Kate is not a happy camper... I'm a "mean dad" and she's telling me she wished she would have never agreed to the experiment and has vowed to not speak to me until dinner time..
Our washing machine is broke as well, and Celeste is teaching Jacob how to wash clothes by hand... I think he is quietly enjoying it.

I am planning on skinning our goat, selling the meat to local passer by's and brewing my own sourghum beer. Then, I'll take the donkey cart to the mall and pick up some flavored coffee and scones for our afternoon tea break.

Here's some video from our pony trek in Lesotho..Sorry, the video isn't that great, but you get the picture... It was a cool trip, riding through remote villages and seeing the beautiful landscape around us...Kate liked it so much, she did a whole day of trekking the following day, to celebrate her birthday.
Not much else to report... the day has been slow and uneventful.. Starting to think about packing.