Wednesday, February 6, 2008

a 2 litre



As Michelle continues her work in the hospital, I thought I would pass on a story that she told me last night when she came home from work ...


Apparently, due to the rain and serious malnourishment in children, the diarrhea outbreak has reached a serious level.. Michelle is seeing many patients at the hospital who are on the brink of death due to diarrhea/malnourishment. And some of them will die if not given some type of Pedialite-esque solution to get them back to stable levels. The thing is, there are no clean containers to mix the solution in, and some of the families can't afford to purchase a 2 litre to clean out and use to make the solution once they have been shown how to do so at the hospital.. And the children die.... So we are collecting 2 litre containers here at home... Michelle was going to get a ride home from another doc last night, and saw an empty 2 litre in his car, took it back into the hospital to give to a family...She showed them how to make the solution in the hopes that they would take the information and 2 litre home with them. It's very sad, but a very real problem. Many children are dying from some very simple things that in the U.S. would never be an issue. And in many instances, they can't hook the child up to an IV solution because the volume of fluid is so great and the child is so malnourished, that the solution could overload their system and cause heart failure.... It's very sad and mind boggling. Point is, children here are sick... If not AIDS, malnourishment.

On a lighter note, our power went out last night... again... we layed around all evening in the dark, listening to Kate chat, chat, chat... she wouldn't shutup.. The power eventually came back on around 3 am. this is going to be a daily routine during our time here...

And on an even lighter note.... I have designated myself the American/Cincinnati Ambassador of Cornhole....I have a gentleman(Andrew), a local woodworker making a cornhole set for me....I gave him the specs. for it yesterday, and he said it would be ready on sunday... He told me "you take too long explaining what you want, but I will make it for you... this game is very strange...but you will show me how to play so I can show my baby girl....." Can you see what's going to happen? We are on our way to speading peace and unity throughout the world one cornhole set at a time... Now all I have to introduce is Budweiser beer(which has just arrived) and buffalo wings..... and skyline dip, and taco dip, salami rolls, fried pickles, gooey buns, krispy kremes, starbucks coffee, white castles, deep fried turkeys, that sausage and velveeta cheese mixture sandwich thingy that Michelle's family makes for Xmas which the name escapes me(awesome), chili cheese burritos, big gulp sodas, and after that, they'll all be americanized. One day........

All for now.