Saturday, October 11, 2008

sunny saturday











It's hot. a white person need not lay out in this sunshine.. you will fry.
Jacob had softball tryouts this morning for the Southern Schools Botswana team...
He made the squad and will head to Francistown in a few weeks to play the Norhern Schools team in a few matches..
I think he's pretty excited about it... Point is, my neck is burnt to a crisp.

The Nortshide team is now 2-1.. We lost a tough one last night 9-8.. That's what happens when no one on the team can catch a ball. But last night's game was the start of the friday night league here in town.. It's really a great venue.. families from the school, even if they don't have kids playing, come and bring a cooler full of beer or wine and sit and enjoy the game...As I know I've stated before, sports just aren't something parents go apeshit over. It's a part of life, but it's totally relaxed..and fun.. What a novel idea.

Kate is now serving well in tennis and Maura is continuing to draw 24/7. Kobus(kate's coach) seems to think she is getting better and better each practice...

I went out to Odi a few days ago to take some photos.. It was alot of fun as I hung out at the "take two bar" and watched a group of young rastafarians take part in their "religious rite" . They really enjoy practicing their religious beliefs here and word on the streets is that the Botswana government is considering making marijuana legal for rastafarians due to the fact that it is a part of their religion.. If this happens, there will be the biggest conversion to Rastafarianism ever....

Odi is one of my favorite places to go... It's totally quiet, dusty and almost feels like an old western town..The people are always friendly and interested in what I am doing.. As i was driving into the village I came across an old abandoned home... I decided to take some photos..

Michelle and Kate went to a ladies luncheon and the 3 little ones are sleeping.. Jacob and I are watching baseball and enjoying having the doors and windows open... Nice breeze today.. Our neighbors who I would assume are the leaders of the local rastafarian church are taking part in some "rasta fun" and yukking it up, while our other neighbors are practicing their violin.. What a strange mix of neighbors.. Speaking of my pothead neighbors... I made them a Beach Boys CD the other day... they asked for some music.. "Beach Boys and Simple Minds." Simple Minds?
I gave them the Beach Boys and some James Brown instead..
Here's some photos of my little day trip to Odi

Some of my arty images from the abandoned home, some signs at the bar...a few women from the bar... and of course, the rasta boys... who all wanted to go to American.. When I told them you can't smoke pot out in the open like you can here, the reconsidered.

The local clothing store... "Mafia Gear" are now selling Barack Obama t-shirts...
The headlines at home will probably read.. "Obama linked to Botswana Mafia!!!"