Tuesday, October 14, 2008

radio highlights

This morning, as most are, was a bit hectic. Getting the kids out of bed, dressed, fed, and off to school on time can be a struggle.. School starts at 7:25, so we usually get going around 6. I got them packed and in the truck and off to school. It's a great feeling... And the great thing is most of them are very eager to go to school.

This morning on the way I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness that our time here is almost over(sorry mom). And as much as Michelle and I have talked about eventually settling down here later in life, it'll be hard to cut the cord on this place in December.. I am very excited to come home, but we have been very happy here... I feel like we've gained alot being from here and have made some very good connections with people here.

I saw the usual characters walking to work, or setting up shop along the street.. The 800 car wash spots that the men sit in all day long waiting for a customer, the women sitting in the middle of a dusty lot with a small table full of popcorn bags, cheese curls and phone cards... shattered beer bottles, trash, run down bus stops... These things I love and will miss.

oK, enough rambling.... Here's some audio clips.... I take an recorder around town with me as much as possible.. this is a few samples of some recordings..
1.The news at the top of the hour...The best news intro I've ever heard.... sounds like a cool marching band.
2Jude and his new found friend Lucky.. Who jude was totally fascinated with and would not let go of..
3. Celeste saying "cut the grass" in her native language Ndebele.
4. Me taking photos in the village of Odi.. it's a boring sound clip, but gives you a sense of how quiet life is here... Notice the 2 or 3 cars you hear rolling by.. It's very nice.... like being out in the country... but there are deadly snakes lurking in the bushes...



Ok.. all for now.. I am headed to Mmangkodi today to meet with kids and give them some cameras to give them a chance to take photos of their daily life.. Hope all is well back home