Thursday, October 23, 2008

Jacob turns 13!!!! I have gray hair and my Mmangkodi Photographers


R011-020
Originally uploaded by andreweckeckerle




R013-009
Originally uploaded by andreweckeckerle


Jacob is officially 13 today... I cannot believe it, but I'll have to deal with it. We have no set plans for the day, although I think he has plans to hang out with friends this evening. We opted not to go camping this weekend considering we are going to Soweto next weekend for the marathon, and it just might be too much.. Jaob, as I've stated many time before, has handled this move to Botswana better than I ever expected.. To be moved from all of your friends, a school you had attended for 6 years, leave family and move 9000 miles from home.... he has adjusted and really taken advantage of the experience.. We are planning a party for him in 2 weeks, and until then... i'll probably treat him to lunch and take him out to get something. Last night we had our first major rainstorm.. It has cooled off the place by about 10 degrees and it feels like home.. It's nice.

I had the first of many rolls of film developed yesterday for the children in Mmangkodi.. Needless to say, they are some of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen. This of course is my opinion, but the photos are striking.. And what some of them lack in high quality, they make up in their simple and touching imagery..

One side note.. When I went to have the rolls of film developed, the owner of the shop donated 17 rolls of film to the cause.. I though that was pretty awesome and very thoughtful..


Here's a slideshow of some of the children's photos.



Happy Birthday Jacob!!!