Thursday, July 17, 2008

Major Tom and Gabane makes big time!!!









Well the play was a smash and the kids were awesome. There was singing and dancing, some audience participation, and a hippy astronaut that helped Snow White escape death(for a small fee). Jacob did a great job acting as the old hippy, but we weren't allowed to take any photos.. so I don't have anything to pass on to you, but they will be selling photo CD's next week.
It was great to see him trying something that I don't think he would have necessarily tried at home.. He had play practice almost every day for the past month and I think he really enjoyed the time being involved in something other that sports.. which is what most of his after school activities consisted of.
The girls went with me and Michelle and even Maura thought the show was funny. Today, Celeste and Kabo will go check out the play.

I went to Gabane yesterday for the first time since my brother and sister were here. It was nice to get back into taking photos and talking to locals. I still think they're not sure what to make of me. I met a very nice man named Boniface, and 2 woman who take care of a young girl that is a patient at Baylor. Suzanne and Neo are looking after a young girl whose mother passed away and were kind enough to let me take photos of them and their home..(the hut is on their property)
Some of the other photos include a girl named Jackolet making a fire while her friend and daughter sit trying to warm up. Other photos are a bowl of "firewood", Johnny, Boniface and 2 local children that look alot like Jude and Frances!. The resemblance is amazing.
As I write this, Michelle is headed to Ghanzi,a small village in the Kalahari Desert to do outreach work. She's now flying in some little prop plane probably wearing one of those old leather helmets and wrap around goggles.
After I wrote this entry, I just checked the headlines on Yahoo.... look at the photo on the slideshow.. It's my peeps from Gabane!!!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080717/ap_on_go_co/global_aids;_ylt=AiECxA_kedZHzc56wJxioW8TO7gF
All for now.

All for now.