Friday, June 12, 2015

Last day of school

Ill keep this short and sweet. It's 7:30 am here in Malawi and the field day for the kids is just about to start. The kids at the school are broken up into different "Houses" and will be competing against each other is different events..  Our kids are in the Nyika house.. we'll see how it goes.

A day of finality here and I'm sure there will be some tears.. Our kids received more awards over the past few days and I think the school has left a great mark on our children... I think the overall environment of this school has been really wonderful for the kids... Frances broke down in tears the other day(she rarely cries) so I know it will be coming today... SO , below are some photos ... Final drive to school was foggy and beautiful.. Going to miss the drive here everyday with the kids. To commemorate , The kids chose to rock out to "when the lights go down in the city" by Journey.. It was an apt choice as that is the first song we listened to on our first day of school...

Ill stop here , because I have been a broken record for the past few weeks.. In summary,  sad to leave.. happy to go home.. Grateful for this experience. Hope this isn't the last time I set foot in this wonderful country.

Photos... me and the girls on our walk to class, a nice African fireplace at Harry's bar, the drive to school, and a giant sausage tree on the golf course.. The sausages are giant seeds that are hard as wood and cause serious skull fractures to those who are unlucky enough to be under it when the sausages fall.. In the photo is Roger, my caddy from the golf club.. He and I have become good friends...Roger tells me those sausages are used for medicine for people in the villages.. I will miss him dearly as well.

Might not be able to post for a few days, but will try.. taking off for our last road trip at noon!
Quick story, I ran into a police road block last night.... I unfortunately had crates of beer and soda in the back of the truck.. The policeman said  " It looks like you have been taken to the bottle".. I said, "No, I am just preparing to go on a holiday with my family". He had none of that and said "the fine for taking to the bottle too much and driving is 30, 000 Kwacha... or you will be locked up." I didn't feel like arguing and I didn't want to experience being locked up in a Malawian prison, so I said, " I don't have 30, 000 kwacha, can I just give you 5000? I don't need a receipt." His response was a giant smile and a "Ok, no problem".

All for now, off to field day!