Monday, June 22, 2015

busy and slight change of plans

Not much to report.. We've cancelled our cable tv subscription, our internet is almost finished and we are depleting our food here at the Malawian home front. Things are coming to a screeching halt. We have many errands to run today so Ill probably keep it short.. But I will say there will probably be two more posts... Ill give you my final thoughts in a few days.. I'm sad to see this blog come to a close... It's really been a great way for me to process everything that has happened here and keep in touch with great friends.  It's funny how things change though.. I was reading some of my initial posts from August and September and you would have thought I was going to lose my mind. Those things that were so frustrating and so new and different from life at home have now become 2nd nature..  Now we prepare for the shock that will be America.  This has been an experience.

We had a bit of a hiccup in our plans to come home. As Michelle and I were sitting around enjoying our back porch and doing some things on the computer, Michelle decided to check their flight itinerary.. Everything looked great from Johannesburg to Cincy, but we realised that we couldn't find any flight information for their flight from Lilongwe to Jo'burg.  And we quickly realised that was because WE NEVER MADE THE RESERVATIONS!!!  We finalised our return plans in October and it was a bit of a headache.. I think we were so relieved that we took care of the major bulk of the travel plans that we overlooked getting out of Malawi. So Michelle and I frantically started looking to book flights on Wednesday afternoon from Lilongwe to Jo'burg.. Unfortunately, there is no flight to Jo'burg from Malawi on Wednesdays..  SO, the rest of the family is leaving tomorrow, and spending the night in Johannesburg.. They will be staying in the shopping district and have already looked to see what movies are playing at the theatre down the street from their hotel... A good , gradual reintroduction to the madness of home.. Then they will catch their flight on Thursday evening home.

I will leave Thursday and take care of the loose ends..

Most goodbyes have been said, but some of the major ones remain. And that is with our staff that take such great care of us here at home.. as parting gifts, we are buying them maize and cooking oil for their families.. amongst other things.. As cleaned out the kids school bags and school papers and compiled stacks of old books to be used for fire starters.. I placed them outside, only to find they had been moved.. Cosmas asked if it was possible if he could take the books to "study" ... He asked about the loose leaf paper as well, because they are "good for writing".. I totally took this stuff for granted. So I packed up school materials, extra paper, a ruler, etc and gave it to him.. Yesterday as I left he was writing notes over top of notes . He never finished secondary school and is preparing to take the exam in a year. As he said "these books are very important and I will use them for study."  He is an incredibly smart man and we hope he does well. As stated in previous posts, his English is better than mine.

We've decided after being here for so long that the best way to help people here is to give them what they need most.. Money. they will use it for the things they need. They won't abuse it ... School and food are what is needed most here.  You want to help someone here? sponsor someone's education.. It doesn't cost much.. 100$- 150$ a year.  When they usually make around 50-75$ a month, this cost is almost impossible to meet.  We have many contacts here and many, many people that are in need of education.. It is the only key to getting anywhere here.. Lots and lots of kids drop out after several years because they cannot meet the financial requirement. If you want to help people with school fees, please let me know.. It's very easy to do.. I can even coordinate for anyone interested.. and it doesn't have to happen before I leave.. We can easily get it together when I am back home. 100$.

Ok , I didn't really plan to write so much, but if the outcome is a few children get an education, then it'll be worth it.  Now that I've given my public announcement , I ll stop. Thoughts on our year coming in a few days..  Happy Monday folks.. Off to do some errands.