Friday, May 8, 2015

weekend e ya bwino (sp.?)

Have a good weekend is what I think that translates to.. Not sure.. I say it alot on Fridays here, and it always gets a response, so I think it's right.

Last night we celebrated me getting old with monster beef burgers(with bacon), a few carlsbergs and a few hours out at Harry's bar. Harry's is hole in the ground that is very popular with the ex-pat community. The windows are cutouts in the walls, with no screens, windows, etc.. the place is covered top to bottom in subfloor, with old furniture scattered about.. Think nasty frat house.. with rats. But they had great music on last night and the moon was full.

No big plans this weekend which is the way we like it...We may take the kids out to karaoke tomorrow night.. Other than that, nothing.

I was pulled over yesterday on my way to the grocery store.. The polite police officer said.." Why don't you have your seat belt on?" ( I had just pulled out of my gate and was headed down our street). I told her I just got in the car and was about to when she stopped me..  She then says.. "That is a violation of the law and you will have to pay a fine." Since I've been here for 10 months, I felt pretty confident in my ability to talk about this calmly with the local law enforcement... I said to her... " I hate to ask this question madam, but if it is illegal for me to not use my seatbelt, is it illegal for hundreds of people to stand up in the back of a flatbed truck speeding down the highway ? " Her response was, "it is legal for them to stand on those vehicles, but you must wear a seatbelt in this type of vehicle." Then she handed me my license and said "you can go, have a nice day."  It was around lunch time, so maybe she was hoping for some lunch money..  One small victory and 10$ saved.

Cosmas asked me yesterday if I would sign his petition to join the local library. I didn't even know there was a library here, but he had to have someone sponsor him to use the library. He asked for 1$ for transport to the city center so he could submit his paper work to the library... Can't really say no to that.. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met, and I hope that he finds some type of opportunity that will allow him to use his talents... He reads every night by candlelight in his shed by our entrance gate... He reads everything..  I supply a beer bottle(candle holder), candles and matches..He won't ask me for new candles , so I have to ask every so often .... I'm thinking I will buy a ton of candles and matches before we leave to keep him reading for a long time.

Thanks to all of you who sent your birthday wishes..  Made my day. Happy friday folks. Check back here for any breaking news.  Below is Cosmas.. other photo is both guards Joseph and Cosmas.. I will  miss these two. The last photo is my kindergarten class outside my classroom. We just some cat drawings and cut them out.. They were pretty pleased with their work.