Wednesday, May 27, 2015

"I want you to know me"

guess what?!?!?! it's sunny and 75 degrees today in Malawi! There are few clouds in the sky though, which is strange.

Michelle had the opportunity to walk home from work last night and loves the fact that she stands out like a sore thumb on the 25 minutes walk from the hospital to our home.. The Malawian gentlemen she encounters on the walk like to introduce themselves to her ... One of the best lines she got yesterday was "I want you to know me." Im not sure if this is exactly what they meant, but what a great pick up line.

On Monday we had a door put in for the guards.. they sleep outside every night in a small shed that has no door.. It is getting cold and they are constantly getting bitten by mosquitos.. Joseph had malaria just las week and that is what prompted the construction of the door.. I'm not sure why we didn't think about this a long time ago..
Anyway, I had Kam go out and get a quote for a door.. A man in the village built us a screen door for about 30$. Kam and Cosmas installed it, patched the outer frame with concrete and it is complete.. Total cost of the project was around 50$ .
When we wanted to get a quote for a door (well, whenever we need something done around the house) Kam always steps in and says, "it is better if I get the price".. Meaning, you are white and a foreigner, and your quote will be twice as high as what they tell me...

You wouldn't believe how happy Joseph and Cosmas are about the door.. they can't believe it.. Such a simple luxury, and now, as Cosmas puts it, "The mosquitos won't know where to go". Be thankful for your doors.

Kate has been participating in a Shakespearian workshop over the past few weeks and will be performing in a production tomorrow night.. She plays the part of Hamlet and also has a short monologue... Kind of cool

All for now... Things are quickly wrapping up here at school and it is kind of exciting.. The kids are ready to be finished with school..

Photos are from the market in the centre of town as well as a bicycle parked outside of KCH hospital . The door on the left is the one Michelle goes into each day for work.. other photo is me and Michelle at the house.. taken a while ago.. This will be our debut album cover.. The LP will included our first #1 hit entitled "I want you to know me"... not to be confused with Cheap Tricks "I want you to want me."

Hump day is upon us. Let's hope the reds can make it two in a row!