Friday, May 29, 2015

Kate as Hamlet



I'm 100% sure Kate doesn't want me to post these photos, but I don't really care..I am very proud of this 13 year old. She participated in a Shakespeare seminar that was put on by the husband of one of the residents that came to visit us. John , who works for the Shakepeare company back home put on a two + week seminar for the kids grade 5-9.. Kate was one of 3 older students that participated... She did great with her part as Hamlet and with her monologue. But I think she did it last night with a heavy heart as all of her classmates from St. Thomas back home celebrated their 8th grade graduation.. She wanted to be there... But, she handled it more maturely than I probably would have at her age.. She has been a gem . And she is ready to to be done with our African adventure and see
her friends and take on high school.  We did celebrate her performance with some Noble China.. which was good. If there was one uncertainty about this year, it was how Kate would handle being here and missing her 8th grade year.. She has taken the year by the reigns and fully embraced her time here.... She must get her positive attitude and sunny disposition from her father.

One of my top 5 things I'll miss here is the sunsets. I've said it before, but they are amazing.. everyday at about 4:45 the light changes, and continues to change until about 6 whrn the sun has completely vanished from the sky.. Here's the clouds above my head as I was loading groceries into my truck.



The photo above is of the morning fog... Weather here has been amazing in the morning..

2nd installment of people I will miss..


Here's Roger. He's my caddy at the golf club.. Yes I have a caddy.. Not by choice, but it's the rules of the club.. Roger accompanied me on my first round of golf back in August and has stuck with me this whole year.. He has asked that instead of tips, that I can assist him in buying maize for his family. I agreed to the deal and he has agreed to help look for my golf balls in the woods. He spends alot of time in the woods.  Roger doesn't look like your average caddy (no shoes, usually a sock hat and a Madonna or Motorhead shirt(very diverse musical taste)  and he knows his golf.. And he is patient and kind and is a scratch golfer.. that's no lie.. He's awesome. I actually think Africans make fantastic golfers.. You must be patient, you must survey and analyse , you must be willing to deal with things never go as planned and you must be willing to do something for a really, really long time..

 One day, when I was struggling to get off the tee on a par 3,  Roger grabbed my 5 iron, and said "Do you mind if I show you something? It might not be a very good shot because my arm is hurting".. He took a swing and put the ball about 10 feet from the pin..  He also tries to tell me to relax.. and recommends I find some Malawi gold to calm my nerves.. Ill let you figure out what that is..

Not much going on this weekend.. some sleepovers, a ballet production by the school and a south african braai at our home on Saturday.. Weather should cooperate as it hasn't rained since March. 
Have a great weekend back home.