Tuesday, May 19, 2015

More from the weekend

Sorry for all of the photos.. but I am having a hard time with internet and posting a slideshow is taking a long time.. For some reason , uploading all of the photos separately worked better...Needless to say, it was a great trip. .. One I think the kids will remember for a long time.

We went on two game drives and saw everything that makes up the animal kingdom except the elusive  leopard . We did see a "leopard kill" which was a dead antelope perched high in a tree . You know you have had a successful game drive when kids are uninterested in the herd of elephants that are eating  30 feet from your truck . Geoffrey our guide took us out early in the morning and in the evening . In the evening, a gentleman named Godfrey joined us as he manned the spotlight while we searched for animals in the dark . We had coffee in the morning on the edge of a river as hippos snorted in the background . In the evening , we had "sundowners " by the edge of the same river just after we saw 5 wild dogs and a pair of lions . Not a bad way to spend a few hours . At night we were surrounded by a sky full of  stars in the middle of a vast land ,filled with animals and trees and birds that I know nothing about . It was amazing . And I think the kids would agree . They are going to be a pain to go to the zoo with when we return . No one will want to accompany them as they'll constantly say "I've seen that in Africa." It'll be annoying .

I left this trip feeling very torn . Even Kate was feeling the same way . This type of place , this type of experience can only be found here . I am very lucky.. well, we are very lucky...  It is so different from anything at home.. No fences, no boundaries, no waivers to sign in case you do get attacked by a lion.. It is beautiful.

.. as we come to a close here, I realise that this part of the world is something I truly and dearly love. It's difficult to explain, but I think it is just our speed.. I think Michelle and I would agree that its a place that we can feel at home.. But, it isn't home.. and it's difficult to be here when there are so many roots in other places... And the kids are getting older, and I am getting older(and grayer) and have feelings of wanting to settle with no hassles... I don't know, I feel pulled in many different directions..  Malawi comes with hassles(I can't stream Spotify without it buffering !!). But it also comes with amazing people and new places.. and it is peaceful.  Plus, Michelle does good work here.  exhausting .. So what do you do? what do you feel? how do you adjust? how do you process this experience and move on? I'm not sure.. But I think we agree that we have no regrets about this experience ..  It's been a challenge, but we've immersed ourselves in another place, and we are going to come out better people... well, Michelle and the kids will, I'll just be a bit tanner. And even though I might want to have some time where I live hassle free,  I've learned that it IS good to be hassled, to step out of your box and see things through a different lens.  It's good to be inconvenienced, to be uncomfortable and to learn patience. It's also good to question what makes you happy and to realise that things really aren't that bad.. So I'm torn.

 It's confusing and difficult to digest. It won't be easy  to just say... "ok, let's go home." It's been a crazy year..  sometimes really tough, sometimes too easy.  But I'm excited to get back to friends, family and my home. Plus, Im getting tired of feeling like I look like a dirty, spotty mangy old white man... Malawi has really beautiful people, and white skin doesn't do so well in the African sun.. So, it'll be good to get back with my peeps. But,  I will miss this place.. And if you ever get a chance to come here.. do it..

Small disclaimer-I had all of these existential thoughts while watching the sun set over the african bush while sucking on a cold beer.. This stuff just doesn't write itself..

This theme (existential nonsense, confusion, etc. ) may be repeated over and over these next few weeks as we adjust ourselves and get ready for US culture shock.  So I'll say I'm sorry in advance.

Ok, on to the photos... Hope all is well back home. sorry for the rambling. Kids are good, and of course it is sunny and beautiful here.. same as usual. Happy tuesday.






Notice the giant gash on the back of the zebra.. survived an attack

leopard kill

hippos, crocs, snakes, elephants in this thing.. 

wild dogs







Kids with their friends and guides Geoffrey(left) and Godfrey(right)

Family portrait #1- taken 5 minutes after seeing lions

A little worried about lions, crocs , hippos , etc.

African landscape