Monday, May 25, 2015

Stamp for the library?? And getting pulled over AGAIN!

A nice weekend here in Lilongwe. It appears this is the season for goodbyes as people prep to leave and go back home. We went to a goodbye party for a couple from the US on Saturday night.  When you hear people talking about leaving, the sentiment is about the same.. ' Yeah I am excited to back home, but I/we enjoy it here. Ill miss it.  The pace of life and the people are great.'  

Michelle and I were able to stream David Letterman's last show and it was probably the best thing we've watched in months. My dad was a huge Letterman fan and it brought back alot of great memories.. It was also kind of sad.. it made me realise I am officially old and it made me realise that that kind of show, that type of format is now gone. Late night talk shows as I knew them when I was younger are done. And now I officially sound old in stating this fact. Not a huge fan of the new fads in Late night talk shows..

A few posts ago, I mentioned that Cosmas wanted to join the library. He needed someone to sponsor him and that person was me.. I wrote on his document my information, etc.. Cosmas took it to the library, but the library stated they needed an official stamp from me.. Well, I don't have an official stamp so I had to have one made.. It has my name, my address and the date.. It is hand made and awesome...
MY OWN STAMP!!


Do you have your own stamp? I doubt it..  It means your somebody around here.. 
I may have a few more made.. 

On Saturday Michelle, Maura and myself went to the Chitenge cloth market.. It's in the main market area in town and is really amazing. Women are selling a ton of variety of different chitenge cloths for anout 2$ per two metres.. The fabric is beautiful and is the traditional garment that is worn here in Malawi and Zambia. Here are some photos.. The woman in the photo was the first seller we passed and she said as soon as we walked in.. "Don't forget to buy something from me before you leave. " How can you pass that up?



On the way back from our visit to the market, we were pulled over by a truckload of police officers.. They flashed their lights at us, told us to park and wait for them.. So I pulled over wondering what i possibly did wrong ... The officer with a chipped front tooth (accompanied by his co worker who was sporting a giant machine gun) said... "You were going down one way street the wrong way, that is an offence... Did you know that?" I told him I did not know.. He said "Ignorance is no excuse". It is a 10,000Kwacha fine. You must go to the office and pay there because we cannot offer you an official receipt.. .. I will take your contacts and you will pay there.. " He took my license, walked across the street to the police truck and came back.. He said, "Ok, you go there and I will give you my phone number.  We will keep your license." I said, "No, give me my license" as I needed it to drive. At this point , Michelle says "Get in the truck and we will take you with us to the office to pay the fine. " She didn't say it nicely , kind of demanded him to get in.. Michelle has learned alot this year about how to talk to people when you know you are getting bamboozled. So, he balked at her attempt and said. "That is not possible as we are rushing to another crime scene." Rushing to a crime scene? You just pulled us over ?  
So , I said.. "Ok, we've been in this country long enough to know 10,000Kwacha is not the fine.. I'll give you 5000kwa and I don't need a receipt." He said, "Ok, you can go." You gotta love it or you'll go nuts here. Now him and his co-workers can buy some lunch.

Happy Memorial Day back home.. We will grill chicken and boerwurst in honour of the holiday..