Thursday, May 7, 2015

more photos and a video... Because I turn 42 today

Today is my birthday.. Fortunately for Michelle there is absolutely nothing to buy here so it makes gift shopping pretty easy. We plan to celebrate later today with a grill out... But look who came into town to celebrate!!!

I'm just kidding... Marty Brennaman isn't really here... But he did send me some well wishes.. and that shirt he's wearing in the photo. Not much else to report. I do have a video to share, that I don't think I've posted before.. Here's a guy cutting the soccer field at the school..on a riding lawnmower.. It took him two days to cut it.. Totally on African time. This about sums up the lifestyle here. No one is in a rush.. and if you want something done (in this case the grass cut) it'll take 4 times longer than it should. 



Other photos below.. some of these photos are of the beautiful baobab trees that litter the countryside as you drive closer to the lake.. These trees are known to be thousands of years old. In Botswana, many of the people believed that god became angry with the people and ripped the trees out of the ground and shoved them back into the ground upside down.. They are very cool looking and the usually tower over any of the other trees. I think I drive the kids nuts when we see them because I usually stop and take a photo of everyone we see.  The tree also produces a fruit or nut or something that they sell on the side of the road.. people can get seriously hurt if these things fall of their head or, get injured falling from the tree while trying to climb and pick the nut. They are about the size of your hand, you have to crack them open and inside is a  small peanut sized nut that you can suck on... it's covered in some type of sweet powder..It's pretty good. The last photo is of some mops the workers here at the school have hanging outside my classroom to dry overnight.

Ok, enough of this silliness, happy birthday to me. I've been on this earth for 42 years now and this year has been a memorable one. Cheers to another great year ahead... Hopefully with Marty Brennaman and that shirt.  
Hope all is well back home. Birthday album of choice today is Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy.. It came out the same year I was born. A little side story about that....I remember my mom not letting me listen to it because Geraldo Rivera said Led Zeppelin were devil worshipers.. so be careful if you listen. If your eyes start glowing red, turn off immediately.