Monday, February 23, 2015

#lizardpoop

A fairly normal "american" feeling weekend here in Lilongwe... We had a swim meet on Friday afternoon (ABC was destroyed by 1000 points), and Maura had a sleepover.. On Saturday, Kate had a basketball tournament and they pulled out a victory to win the trophy.. In classic African form, the game was scheduled for 11am , but did not start until 12:45.  It was played outside in the burning sun. I think Kate developed 3rd degree burns.. Below is a photo of the girls after their victory, you can tell the paler skin girls look as if they need aloe immediately.

Saturday afternoon we went to a pig roast for an American we have never met , but were invited to the party by some good friends of ours.. It was at a place called "the Shack" which has a volleyball league on Wednesday evenings. I was talked into joining a team. We'll see how that goes.

On Sunday we went to the pool and basically relaxed most of the day. It was a good weekend.

Oh and I forgot, we got another dog for the property. We had been urged to do so for the sake of security, so I thought we'd go ahead and get one. I'm not sure who runs the LSPCA, but it is totally up to date and well run. The animals seems well tended to, and for about 70$ you can adopt a puppy, they will update its shots, perform neutering, etc for you.. And they put a chip in the animal so if they are lost, they can scan them.. just like home.. The only difference is, the vet was telling me this, then said.. "i'm not really sure why we out a chip in them, because no one in this country has a scanner."
After much deliberation, the kids have named him Indy (think Indiana Jones).  He has a cough, and they were leaning towards Wheezy, which I loved because I was a huge fan of the Jeffersons growing up.

This morning as we were scrambling to get ready for school, Kate and I were brushing our teeth and Kate said, "the other day I was brushing my teeth and dropped my toothbrush fell into lizard poop."
I told her I've never heard that before in my life. Our home is pretty well contained and we feel pretty safe from most rodents, but the lizards can creep through anywhere and will leave droppings on the wall.. that eventually, thanks to gravity, find their way onto things such as your bathroom counter. . Just yesterday one of them died mid stride in our pantry.. It was on the wall, must have died, layer there stuck to the wall for about 5 hours, then eventually flopped over onto our peanut butter container.. It's kind of gross.. But still not as bad as the ants which invade every area of your house.
tomorrow I will post a video regarding the homes we are building. Just need 15 more hours of downloading time to You tube.


pre-game at Civo Stadium.. Yes it was outdoors

Maura and Kate with a few friends

Champs!

Kate on the Block

Our new dog.. Indy