Wednesday, November 19, 2014

NOTE- I thought I publish this post a week of so ago, but it told me it was only draft... so I've taken the liberty to re-load it... if for some reason you've already read it.. I apologize.. I've updated it though, so there's some new stuff at the end... Sorry if I'm being redundant. 

Power went out again last night for a significant period of time.. I've always enjoyed the power outages in the evening because it forces you to lose all connection to the world...  It's sad that I need a power outage to make this happen , but it is what it is.. Michelle and I had just put the kids to bed and then everything went black.. We lit some candles, sat on the back porch, were attacked by ants that have invaded our porch furniture and enjoyed the night..

I know this is probably stating the obvious , but being here is a giant roller coaster ride.. It is difficult to find an equilibrium. You are constantly being pulled in one direction or another and trying to make sense of it.. One minute, you are wishing to be back home, enjoying life, job, kids, food, etc....normalcy..  Everything drives you crazy.. You wonder why you decided to put your family through this ordeal and want to drive 20 minutes out to the airport and go home... The next minute, you are driving through town, 185 degree heat, surrounded by this place and people and culture that are totally different from home, and you soak it up... thinking... This is fantastic!!! There is alot to learn from the people here and you need to put it into perspective.. You realize that you may never get another chance to do something like this, that your children are seeing parts of the  world and interacting with people they'll never get a chance to do at home, and they are enjoying it.. and probably riding the same roller coaster that you are.

We pulled up to school Monday and when I put the truck in park, I looked at everyone and said.. "another week in Malawi.....you guys ready?"  They all jumped out of the truck, said yes and we began to talk about things we look forward to doing when we get back home.. I realized mid sentence that this is probably not the way to start a monday 8000 miles from home with no relief in sight... so I stopped and said.. "we need to do our best to soak up our time here in Africa.... there are things here you can never see or do back home... like eat mice on a stick, or pee freely anywhere you choose.. " The kids agreed, gave me a few pecks on the cheek and we went on our way.. Life is good...

I agreed to buy a handmade basket from a gentleman named Harold. He sits in the parking lot of Chipiku everyday and tries to sell baskets/ bags, etc made out of grass.. The first time we met, he tried to sell me a floor ma t..  I have been told when people give you a price, since you are a mzungu(white person), they double it.. you have to barter them down and try to meet halfway.. He gave me a price of about 5000KWA for a floor mat and I said 2500KWA.. I realized as soon as I said it, I totally offended him.. He laughed and said... You must be joking.. I bought the mat for 4000KWA (10$) and have made a "friend for life".. Yesterday he called me at least 8 times to tell me he had my basket ready.. At first this was very annoying and I told him I would come if I could ...  He called again right around 330, I had just got home with the kids and agreed to meet him at the grocery store.. He handed me the basket, I gave him the rest of the money I owed and he thanked me . He then told me he needed money for transport each day to keep his business going.. Plus, his son was in the private hospital (not the one Michelle works at, because, as Harold stated.. they had no medicine )... He takes a bus into town each day carrying all his baskets from Salima, which is about an hour by bus..  The basket cost about 14$.. at pottery barn it would be at least 80$.. its beautiful.

One last note , a little food for thought..   Michelle's hospital did not have water yesterday... no water at the hospital... none... and it was at least 90 degrees outside.
Right before the power went out last night, Michelle received an email from Cincy Childrens stating that they would be without hot water from 8pm- midnite... It would not be hot, only "luke warm"..

Updated notes
Kate's soccer season came to a close yesterday... I think they were 0-6-1.. Not a great season, but hey.. they didn't lose  every game either.. Kate said she felt like crying when it was over.. She told me as she felt like crying , she wondered if she had ever cried before after a soccer game.. and then she replied... "Oh yeah.. last year when I played my last game at St. Thomas before you carted me off to Africa"...  that was a tear jerker.  I honestly think she is loving her time here...very similar to how Jacob enjoyed his time in Botswana..  She is doing well and has  totally fit in (as I am writing this she just walked past my classroom eat a cinnamon roll surrounded by classmates.. She kind of stands out around here).  I'm sure there will be tears of joy and sadness when we get on the plane back home in June.

Little kids taught me BS card game last night ... i can't believe I've never played that before.. Michelle is knee deep in muck at work and is very, very busy.. With malaria season around the corner, I think it will only get worse..

Yesterday I went home to gather sweatshirts for the kids so they could wear them after swim practice.. When I went home, I was greeted by Cam and Rabina's son William.. He gave me a big smile , handshake , and called me "white man".. As I was gathering up the clothes for the kids, I could hear him talking to his dad in the backyard... Cam was watering the plants.. it was a sweet moment.. one I remember when we had children aged 2... 2 year old chatting away.. dad occupied with the work at hand, but offering an ear to listen.. for the first time in a long time, I missed having little ones.. but that moment passed pretty quickly and I snapped out of it.. But I thought it was nice to see that these things happen in Malawi, just like they do at home..

Here's an audio clip on William talking.. sorry for the poor quality, but Cam was watering plants..
">

Cold day today.. it is incredible.. cloud filled and breezy..I'm wearing a sweatshirt. a little spit of rain here and there, but nothing post worthy.. when the lightning and thunder strike.. I'll be sure to post.. Last year, lightning struck one of the buildings on campus and destroyed the roof.. They are still repairing.. everything here is extreme.. Happy hump day.


Kids taking in the soccer match on top of Sylvia



Last Soccer Match


Handmade basket.. 10$ here, 80$-100$ at pottery barn