Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving

After working all day long and on average about 12 hours a day since hitting the ground here September 6th, last night Michelle began cooking for about 20 people for Thanksgiving.. my contribution was cutting up a few onions, having a beer at the Chinese restaurant waiting to collect our “take away” order and doing the dishes.. 

We have received some canned pumpkin from our friend Carol , who is overseer of the Peace Corps here in Malawi… being a government employee she receives all the perks that comes with … well, a government job.. They can get just about anything.. in this case, canned pumpkin. Jude helped with the crust by the way..

We are setting up shop today in our home and hosting some doctor friends and our good friends and their kids who have never celebrated a Thanksgiving.. Their kids are pretty excited about trying turkey..  We have mashed potatoes, two types of dressing, turkey, pumpkin pie , and apple pie.. Bottled coke to accompany. 

It feels nothing like Thanksgiving here and quite honestly, it’s a little sad. I feel like a fish out of water. It’s hot, I’m working and I don’t feel bloated..  But I am thankful… and probably more than most years. Thanksgiving and the holidays makes appreciate my wonderful family, friends and makes me miss my parents as well. 

Living here you can’t help but be thankful for being from a place that has opportunity , health and freedom. Which we appreciate , but maybe take for granted. Being here makes me realize how plentiful life is back home. We miss everyone and hope your Thanksgiving is a good one. 
I can’t write too much today as I am getting ready to teach a class and then bust out of here to buy a few more things.. 

A few photos… notice the turkey.. the stamp reads “slaughtered by hand per Islamic Rites”.. you don’t get that everyday.. Has something to do with Halal standards.. 
Yesterday after school a giant storm hit the campus.. This was the scene at swim practice.. needless to say, kids got out of the pool shortly after the photo was taken

Ill post photos of our meal and party.. keep your fingers crossed that the power doesn’t go out this afternoon.. We need it today as we have no Plan B.

Happy Thanksgiving from about 9000 miles away.. We miss you all and will raise a glass this evening to toast our loved ones and our dear friends.. Hopefully the drinks will be cold, because there are only a select few stores that sell bags of ice.. I have to find one today after school ..  

I am hoping to catch Arlo Guthries “Alice’s Restaurant” sometime today.. If someone could let me know what time they play that at home, that would be greatly appreciated.  

Cheers.