Wednesday, November 5, 2014

HOT


It's 7 am and school is about to start.. The sun is already screaming hot and people are sweating as they pedal down the roads to their destination.. I have heard mixed feelings about the weather... 1) this is a bad as it gets... 2) wait til December..
It's really just during the morning and mid afternoon that it is rough... It's exhausting actually. But, around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, the weather becomes bearable.. I think we are just gearing up for the rainy season. Apparently the storms can get pretty violent.. I remember in Botswana, there were several evenings when the whole family slept in the same room. The only time it has rained here (3 weeks ago, for one day) 5 people were killed by lightning in the northern region of the country.

I have attached a few photos from yesterday.. I was able to stop at the convent to buy eggs from the nuns... The sister I spoke to asked how many I needed, went back into a very dark room, and emerged with a crate of large beautiful eggs. 25 of them for about 4$.  We eat alot of eggs here..

Also below is a audio clip of Cosmas ordering something for me over the phone.. I had a hard time communicating with the lad on the phone, so Cosmas took over for me..I've been here for several months now and still find it impossible to pick up.. Listen to it if you can.. Chichewa is a beautiful language, but one I can't comprehend. He may be telling the woman on the phone that I'm a complete idiot for all i know.

All for now.. kids are swimming , swimming and more swimming. .They have it for P.E, they have "house practice" and their regular swim practice.. Everyone is doing very well and I think really enjoying it.. We have officially become a swim family.. Weird..
During morning break.. soccer games

Convent door where you can purchase eggs

Soap for hand washing laundry!

Eggs by Nuns... gotta be good

Reception class waiting for their art teacher