Sunday, January 4, 2015

Portrait sesssion









This morning I was able to go out to Kam and Rabinah's home and take family portraits for them.. As a Christmas gift I told them I would take portraits of their family, get them printed and framed for them.. I drove about 10 minutes outside the city and when I arrived, everyone was dressed and ready for a photo session.. They have 4 children... Bilirani (oldest son), Elizabeth, Daniel and William(the youngest)... They were so sweet and kind to me when I arrived. William jumped up in my arms and immediately cheered "Mzungu!!" (white man).. 

It was a really nice morning spent with them and I think there will be plenty of opportunities to make more photos of the families in the surrounding area...  Once the photo shoot was finished, We all packed into my truck to take about an 8 minute drive to see the land that we helped them purchase. It was a good size plot that they had already planted maize on and are planning on building their home first, then another to rent to others.... I think the land itself cost about 350$ and we were happy to help finance their purchase.. They are so excited to begin building a home they can call their own (as opposed to renting).. When I asked Kam and Rabinah who would build it, they told me they both would.. But they plan on making bricks from their land first to save money on supplies.. They think they can have one home built in a year's time...  After we visited the plot of land, we took their daughter Elizabeth to to the bus station to catch a bus back to school. She attends a school outside the city about an hour away.... 

This was a nice way to spend the morning.. After the departure of family, I think it is natural to get a little down and miss home.. The visit to Kam and Rabinah's home was a nice kick in the ass.. 

Rain has moved into Lilongwe and the countryside is turning a brilliant green.. Crops are starting to show their face, which is a good thing..  The past two nights have brought serious rain storms with serious African lightning and thunder..  This allows me the luxury of lying in bed wondering when I'll be struck by lightning and/ or when the ceiling boards will give way to the weight of the water and flood us out of our house...  Not much on the agenda today... Probably will hit the pool and try to listen to the Bengals game this evening.. If anyone knows how I can stream the game via my computer please let me know!!  Would love to watch some football.. Happy Sunday everyone. 

A special thanks for the Kreutzjans family for sending a care package our way!! Inside were wonderful processed food that we can't get here.. Pringles and Nacho chips!!! Also enclosed were cards for the kids from their friends at St. Thomas.. It was greatly appreciated and the kids were so excited to hear from friends.. They look forward to returning to their old stomping grounds.. 

Add caption





neighbors surrounded by a yard full of budding maize

Me and my man William 

Family drive...

Malawian selfie.. just like kids at home..