Thursday, January 29, 2015

power outages, fruit bats and grocery baggers that could be models.

Sorry, there isn't much to report today as we have had no power at school and at home. It's been pretty sporadic recently and we were hit with a huge rain storm yesterday afternoon. I was in a meeting and the kids were caught at the swimming pool waiting for me.. 

I did have a surreal experience the other night that I think will now be a weekly happening.. I have joined a billiards league. I am on the American team.. this past tuesday we played the south africans and were obliterated.. The cool thing was we played at this guy's house that was absolutely amazing and completely over the top.. I'll have to get pictures next time we play there as the home was amazing.. The beautiful thing about living in a place like this is that you can keep your house wide open all the time.. so the pool tables(2 of them) were located in a giant tiled, open space that led out to the back yard and pool area.. It was cool. 

We have been here long enough to start taking for granted all of the amazing things that we see everyday.. such as the array of birds in our yard, and the daily sights and sounds of our neighborhood. It is the new norm..  I am constantly amazed by the natural beauty of the people here.. Michelle and I comment on it alot... "We'll walk out of a grocery store and say..  the was the most beautiful cashier I've ever seen and the dude bagging our groceries should be a model".. Maybe its due to the fact that you walk around this place and realize how white and pasty you look all the time... Maybe its because there's no Larosa's or Skyline here... I'm not sure but I can tell you that Malawians are a very attractive bunch. 

A big weekend on the way.. We have a swim meet this coming  friday afternoon directly after school and Kate goes on a road trip to Kamuzu Academy for a sport day on Saturday.. She leaves on the bus at 530 am and will be gone all day.. She'll play in a soccer match (on a soccer pitch is what they say here), a volleyball game and then will swim in a multi school swim "gala" in the afternoon.. This will cause Kate to experience physical activity overload.  Michelle works all weekend so the kids and I will have to be creative.. Hoping for nice weather..

Here's a video that I may or may not have shared.. I'm having issues with video upload right now and am too lazy to sift through old posts.. One of the amazing things that happens every night above our home is the giant fruit bats that fly overhead(sometimes very low).. right at dusk you can see thousands of fruit bats fly through the night. It's quite a sight and very cool. here's a video.. Franny is on top of the truck checking it out..


Here's the kids hanging out on top of "Sylvia"

This is the far back of our yard.. Cosmas, Jospeph , Cam and Rabina have planted maize crops here and they are looking good.. Cam told me they should be finished at the end of February


Rain drenched school.. no hallways here, so going from class to class can be wet.


Contemplating whether or not to make a run for it.