Thursday, December 20, 2007

Shake Shake








I had another eventful morning in the village of Gabane, taking more pictures, talking to some of the people I have met, and watching many of the men in town, drink like Irishmen. It was 10 am when I arrived, and 80 percent of the men I talked to were 3 sheets to the wind. I couldn't decide whether this was a sad state of affairs or just some early celebrating with christmas around the corner. Our friend Celeste told me it was due to the holiday season. Most people there don't have jobs, are looking for work or drinking in order to forget about the fact they can't find work. Regardless, I love meeting with them and having them let me interact with them and take their photos.. What is sad though is that I'll never really connect with them, I'll always be viewed as a rich white man, a person who takes photos but doesn't have a clue as to what we are going through. I came to this realization as many of them approached me after taking their photos and asked if they could be my "garden boy".
There is a local brew made here called Shake-Shake... It comes in a carton, it is made in homes in the village, and I think consumed at the home of the brewer... THat is where several of my photos took place today. I also met with a large family who wanted me to take their photos in their garden behind their home. I really enjoy the people here and know that I'll truly miss them when we leave, but I won't miss their beer... think Weideman with oatmeal, ash and orange juice mixed together. The men buy it by the carton, sit in groups and share it... I met with a few characters for quite some time today discussing American politics... Thebe, OJ, and Coolman were a few of their names. What's so different about them is that they know exactly what's going on in the U.S. while most people in the U.S, have no idea where Botswana is on a map(myself included until I knew we were coming here.) they know the situation, the popularity ratings of Bush, the situation in Iraq, and think it is unfortunate that a black man and a woman should have to compete against one another.. "it's about time you have them in a position of power, why don't they take turns" is their solution.

They all want to come to america, to get their piece of the pie...... They ask if I own a cattle post at home and if it's as violent as it seems from the shows they see on television. How different it is here than at home. They are well informed and intelligent, just very poor and nothing to do....They love the photos I bring them and are anxious to have their pictures taken... I can't seem to get many candid shots because they all want to pose for me. It's good stuff and I look forward each week to developing their pictures, driving out to the villlage and taking more photos. The photos include Bushy, the Shake Shake brewer in his room, where he also stores his product. some young men drinking, older friends at the bar, a mother of 6 and a yound girl playing in her yard..

One major cultural difference.... men who are friends here hold hands.. i may have stated this in earlier entries, but it's happening to me here and there. So while they're chugging back a few cold ones, they'll hold hands while talking.. it happened to me several times today , in the outdoor bar area, holding hands with a man named Thebe as we discussed anything and everything. It also happened with the janitor at jacob and Kate's school, whom i've befriended, his name in Tonto.. He greeted me at the entrance of the school and we walked across the school grounds holding hands.. Felt a bit strange at first, but I really appreciated the gesture.. it's a way of showing respect , care and concern for the other person. What's strange is the men here act so stoic and masculine most of the time, you wouldn't think that they ever consider holding hands. But it's cool right? yeah it's cool.... It's like that Seinfeld episode where they talk about the man hug..... " we're hugging, but we're not touching"

all for now