Friday, December 21, 2007

Gabs becomes a ghost town


As the holiday season approaches, most people who live in Gabs head for their home village... Traffic is horrible today, the combis are packed with people and folks are standing by the side of the road, loaded with their belongings, hitching rides (which can be done here with ease) or waiting for the next available combi. I'm told we'll have the place to ourselves his holiday, which I don't necessarily like, but it will be nice to get around town without any hassle. All is well today, michelle got out of work at 3 and is currently shopping for fabric with the girls. We are preparing for our first visitors from home..... Michelle's dad, her sister and grandma, and we cannot wait!!


Michelle is making her menu for a Christmas dinner and is visiting a warehouse/shop called "world foods".... funny , they pride themselves on the fact that "EVERYTHING IS IMPORTED". unlike the trendy American move to supporting local produce/buying from local merchants, etc... here, the draw is to make sure it's NOT from here. Sad but true.. We'll see what she comes up with.. I've been listening to my favorite radio station, WMKV (89.3 FM)from Cincinnati to get me in the holiday mood. They play all the great stuff for the holiday season and brings home a little bit closer.


There was a Santa Claus in the Mall today, it just wasn't the same... I can't decide if it was his cotton ball beard , red sweatsuit or red Army duffel bag that made him a bit more pathetic than the Santa's we encouter at home..I think they mistook the notion of Santa Claus for an unshaven whino. Kate saw him and said.. "Ew". That's what I said...


Nothing on the plate tonight, Jacob and his friend are playing soccer outside, I'm here typing and Jude has totally destroyed the living room in the time it took me to write this sentence...


For those arriving on Sunday, It's been cloudy and cool all week, but it's breaking up as I speak.. i think we're headed for a scorcher of a week. By the way, the sun comes up here at 4:45 so be ready...

Have a great trip over here Mr. Dixon, Emily and Grandma..... I know you don't take a liking to beer that much, but the free drinks help.... alot.


Hope everyone is doing well. Found this picture as I was searching for a santa claus picture to put on the blog, thought it was pretty funny.