Friday, December 28, 2007

Dixons get a taste for the 'Real Africa"

Well, after celebrating Christmas in style here our visitors experienced one of Africa's great traditions.... sickness. Helen started it off, Mark and Emily got it the next day. Hopefully it hasn't put too much of a damper on things, but unfortunately it has put them in bed for 2 and half days of their trip. Mark and I did get to go golfing with a Botswana character, a pious man named Pax. He was a treat, we were his guests at the Gaborone golf club... He gave us each a set of clubs to play with, while he used his new set of Taylor Made clubs. Oh yeah, he had 27 sets of golf clubs and 9 cars, was best friends with the president so he could totally relate to the rest of the country who was living off of 1 dollar a day. But he was a self made man who was "born in the bush" . He was kind and extremely entertaining,as was my golf game. My caddy began coaching me in the end, and I could hear him moan with each and every shot. God I suck. But the course is within walking distance to my house so I plan to improve before we leave.

Everyone is on the mend today and are in South Africa taking in some lunch and a game drive at Madikwe game Reserve with Michelle. Tomorrow we plan to go to Gabane to meet all my photo buddies and visit a great studio where they make local pottery using traditional patterns. Headed to the "bull and bush" tonight( i think) for a sundowner and an evening of no sickness. Keep your fingers crossed. Michelle's grandma and I took the twins and Maura for a stroll to the Main Mall this morning as we worked on Helen's Setswana by saying "Dumela " to everyone we passed. It's a great place to people watch and be stared at by all the locals.

All for now, let's hope the game drive doesn't produce any nausea.