Monday, October 22, 2007

moto vac, the twins and the wonderful department of transportation and registration





It's monday around 4:15. I went out shpping today for a bulb for our truck in order for it to pass it's test for registration.. Iset out for "Moto Vac" the KOI of Botswana.. If you like to go to motor parts stores, this is a must for you. Inside was like any other parts store, give them the part, they find the match, etc.. I purchased my bulb, no problem, and was out in 10 minutes. Outside the store, I began to install my new bulb in the parking lot. As soon as I pop my trunk I am asked by 2 gentlemen if they could install it for me. THey have wrenches in hand ready to go. I tell them no, I can do it myself. I open the cover, and they followed, looking at my engine, etc. I accidentally dropped the bulb on the ground, one of them picks it up and says, "Let me do it for you, free of charge....for you, my friend." Translation.... Give me what you want, I expect something for this. I wasn't going to fight him , gave him a dollar, asked him if did any other work on cars. "Yes , all kinds." I finally realize that there are 10-12 guys just like him in the parking lot trying to make money off of people coming right out of the motor parts store. They all have wrenches in hand , offering to install what you just bought. I asked if he did oil changes in the parking lot... He said, " you buy the oil and filter, I do it for 20 pula"(3+ dollars) .. I said, "ok, I'll be back." Which is something that I've learned not to say to anyone here, because in the U.s. that means nothing.. Here as soon as you say that, they come back with "When?" And they mean it.. I told him in a few weeks and I'm sure he'll be expecting me..




After I left the motor parts store I headed off to the transportation division of Botswana to register my car and have it tested to make sure it's roadworthy. This was unbelievable. Paperwork, no problem.. took 20 minutes. When I went out to get it tested, looks very much like an emission testing station in the states, I was directed to wait out on the street in a long string of cars. This was at 10:30 in the morning. I waited in line until 12:15 . At 12:15 the guy in front of me gets out of his car and says.. " YOu'll be in this spot until 2 at least. They have just locked the gate and are going for lunch. I am going to lunch too, I need my spot back when I return." I look over and sure enough, the guards have locked the gate into the testing center and are walking away to the nearest tuck shop for lunch. So, tomorrow will have to be another day of waiting and hoping to get the car tested. I left disgruntled and looking forward to the next time my car will be tested for something in the U.S. A .




Here's a few pics of the babies this morning strolling around the grounds of our apartment complex. In one, Jude is saying Hi to our gardener and security guard.