Friday, October 19, 2007

The Car, Boss!!!



As stated, we have finally gotten our car and are in the process of getting the plates. It's a '96 Mitsubishi Pajero. Getting the plates takes more paperwork as well, and then you have to get it tested. Unfortunately, one of the front lights is burnt out and our clearing agent told us it would fail the test if we don't replace it, thus not getting the plate.I have been driving it around town and avoiding all police. I should mention that I was pulled over once driving a friends' vehicle and they saw me on the cell phone.(I was trying to find a house. )ANyway, they told me they were going to take me to the station and confiscate the phone or I could pay them a fine of 500 pula(90 $). Told them I didn't have 500 pula, they asked how much I had, I told them, they said.. "you give us 100 pula each for lunch and we'll let you go." Lunch on me.. They like to do that around lunch time around here. They eased the blow by congratulating me on all of my children(who were in the car), laughed and then told Jacob he looked like David Beckham(exactly what Jacob needed to hear.)

I had a strange experience today. Went to the supermarket to stock up and decided to take the truck to one of the thousands of car washing places in town. Everyone lives on a dollar a day, but they have the cleanest cars I've ever seen.We have to be the dirtiest family in the city. Anyway, it took them 2 hours to clean the car. Iwas in Pic-Pac for an hour to shop, I came out, the car was still sitting there.. A gentleman from the Riverwalk Car Wash said.."boss, we are not yet done with your car, it will be soon.." Everyone call everyone 'Boss around here. So I stopped in and had tea at an Ethiopian Coffee Shop, (it was Bush tea. very , very good.) walked back out to the car and 8 men were all over it spraying it, vaccuming it, washing it down, it was cool. One of them saw me walking to the car, said in Setswana something like, "Come and sit under this tree and watch us labor over your vehicle."" He pulled out a lawn chair and I watched them clean my car. Weird. They were cool though, whistling to each other, yucking it up(probably at my expense) and did a hell of a job cleaning the car.. Total bill- 40 pula (6$ plus change.)

Anyway,I have no plates on the car, but it's a nice ride. We are planning our first weekend getaway to Pilanesburg National Park http://www.tourismnorthwest.co.za/pilanesberg/ Looking forward to the trip, which should be in 2 weekends. Tonight, we are taking our helper Celeste out to eat and then heading to Jacob's softball game.. A night game, in Botswana!!! THey won their first match 15- 1 Jacob had 3 hits. Right now Jacob and Kate are out swimming with Celeste,Maura is drawing, Jude is eating a hair clip and Frances is emptying all drawers in the house. Tomorrow, world cup rugby finals... South Africa v. England. Go Springboks!!! Bet you can't guess which team is the Springboks?