Thursday, March 19, 2015

Throw back thursday..

This seems to be a very popular theme in social media so I'll go with it..
Yesterday I went to the offices of DSTV to pay our cable bill.. Yes, we have cable here and it is pretty good and pretty reliable.. I was waiting in line and started thinking about how frustrating this experience was back in August/ september when I first arrived. I recall writing all the time about the way things were so backwards here and was on the verge of pulling my hair out. But now, I don't mind waiting in line... while 3 employees check their phones and eat their lunch.. I don't mind being cut in line by locals who claim they were there 10 minutes ago but needed to leave for a bit. I don't mind while the gentleman slowly and methodically fills out a 2 page receipt by hand. I don't mind paying for a service and having him say.. "now, is the cable box on at home? Because if it isn't, the service may turn off, and you'll have to call our customer care service to have it turned back on."

It is all routine and now a part of our daily lives. I think it's part of the complete and total culture shock that comes with moving to a place like this.. It just takes time and some patience. People here have a lot of patience.. We are the ones that need to adjust. And we have.. And now that these things seem normal, I will have the re-entry culture shock of landing back home and having things so readily available that it will probably feel very strange.. And maybe sad.

I remember when I came home for my dad's funeral when we lived in Botswana.. I was landing in Atlanta and I could see a McDonald's outside and everything came back to me... When we entered the airport, the smell of Cinnabon and bacon filled the air... I knew I was home.

Another gorgeous morning here as we take on Thursday. Kate informs me we have 97 days left.. You better soak up these wonderful blog posts while you can.. The days are dwindling..
Having a few doctors over this evening to empty out our freezer.. We have about 20 pounds of homemade boerwurst left..  

Photo below is the sky about 330 every day here.. Just around this time, the clear sky clouds up with these giant cloud formations.. They are spectacular.. It produces a few rain showers here and there, then clears up for the night..