Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Notes for Wednesday

Remember how I told you how efficient car care was here in Malawi?? Well, I was wrong .. After two  and a half days of waiting, my oil change/ new battery work is finished... It was done well and they called several times extending the pickup time, but it took a little longer than what they had told me.. Which is about par for the course here in southern Africa.. I have now been trained to be patient and wait... so it really wasn't a big deal. I remember some advice that was given to me when I arrived here in August.. "However long it takes to get something done at home, multiply that by 4 and you'll have Malawi time." this is absolutely correct.

As I write this Michelle is in the midst of taking her boards so hope test is going well.. yesterday her plan was to "walk".. and I think that is what she did.. Apparently she hiked to the top of Table Mountain , went shopping, etc.. She said after about an hour of feeling very strange that there were shops, restaurants, etc... she felt right back at home..  I hope she got something very nice for me. It's been very difficult to talk/ text, etc...

Apparently , there was an article in the Fort Thomas Matters online paper (is there a hard copy somewhere??) and it featured an article written by a good friend/ colleague of mine... Chuck Keller did a piece in the paper and asked for my help.. So feel free to check it out when you get a chance.. here's the link

IT"S NOT WHAT WE HAVE


Sunny and beautiful here today... We have an end of the year swim banquet to attend this evening , then only 2 days left until break.. Tomorrow there is a talent show here at school in the evening and as a fundraiser they have asked the kids to vote for which teacher they'd like to see get pied in the face... each student can cast a vote and puts money into a box with the teacher's name on it... Apparently my box is overflowing... So I may be getting pied tomorrow night..

Hope all is well back home...

Below is a few photos... One is of the parking lot of the auto shop, while the others are taken from Michelle's hospital. One is the lunch line , laundry day at the hospital and a staple lunch that michelle eats some days at the hospital... Ntsima, rice, greens, sauce and a coke.. Want to know how they make Nsima here?? Check out the video below..



Auto mechanic... My truck is in the back with the roof rack. 

Laundry at hospital

Lunch

Classic Malawian meal.. Nsima, greens, beans, rice and tomato sauce.. and of course a coke.