Wednesday, March 18, 2015

St patty's day dinner, Mzungu grocery store..

We celebrated in style last night with starch, starch and more starch.. Gotta love Irish cuisine.
I went to a small grocery store call Bauer's very close to our home. This is a shop that some Malawians I know call the "Mzungu shop".. translation= White people shop..
It is a specialty grocery store where you can find things salsa, really good cheese, specialty meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, nice wine, olive oil and Guinness!!!
 I stopped there yesterday to get some Irish potatoes, onions, sausage and beer.. the place is like a Whole foods shop in Malawi.. And it truly is the white people's shop.. i usually see one or two other Americans when I go there.. Yesterday was no exception...

After picking up Kate from basketball practice we were driving home and a white man with an Ireland rugby jersey was walking down the street.. I yelled to him "happy st. Patrick's day"! and in a wonderful Irish accent he yelled back.... "Same to you Laddy!" He may have been acting as if he was Irish, I 'm not sure..

It seems we have survived the rainy season and are now moving into calmer, warm beautiful weather... Blue skies during the day and clear , star filled nights...

.. Photos... dried meat (south african biltong ) at the local shop, my feet hanging out under blue skies, and bangers and mash , soda bread and beer for St. Patrick's day.

Happy HUMP DAY!! Kate is currently counting the days until we return.. I think we are at 98.. She did state to me that she will miss this place. Her favorite memory so far?? The drives to school every morning..  I reminded her that this is something we do all the time at home..

Biltong.. fantastic