Tuesday, January 1, 2008

happy new year from botswana!!!

Life has been slow here.... not much going on since christmas, and the place has shut down for another week due to new year's. went to the bottle shop last night to grab some beer, you would have thought the country was selling its last day of alcohol. Kate and I waited in line for a half hour.. I went to Gabane yesterday and got this great photo of one of the homes in the village. I hope it gives you a sense of how bright and hot the sun is here. if it doesn't, let me just say that its hot.
Our guard Steven informed me that my truck was "too dirty" so I put the girls to work... washing the inside and out of our Pajero.
Jacob returned last night from a successful trip to the Drakensberg mountains.. He'll have to write about his adventures in a future blog entry.. He swam in waterfalls, hiked mountains and improved on his ping pong game apparently. It's good to have him home, the girls missed him.. Today we'll take it easy, do some swimming and maybe grill out.. I'm headed out to another choir singing/dancing celebration with my friend Arthur to take in the sites.. We're going to look like idiots with our cameras and video cameras, fortunately, he speaks setswana, so it should be fun... Alright all for now.. here's wishing you a great new year, enjoy all the football, skyline dip, etc that comes your way today....