Wednesday, January 23, 2008

twin terror and new term of school begins


While I was back in the U.S., the twins went through a great transformation.... They became absolutely fearless. Yes, they continue to stick their fingers in outlets, clmb the stairs and shove things in the toilets. But now, now they are plotting, using specific tactics, and climbing... I thought we had finished the hardest time of their lives just recently. Michelle was telling me horror stories of them on tables, chairs, moving chairs to reach higher, standing on Tv stands, reprogramming computers, climbing up and down the stairs and leaving a trail of destruction everywhere they went.. "they just need their dad home to put the old clamp down" was what I was thinking... "If I was home, that would not happen.. No way."

I was mistaken... my first day back on the job was an absolute nightmare.. It started as Jude pulled the chair over to the dining room table to get a drink of my coffee while franny pulled the clothes I had folded off the couch, and then climbed the couch, leaning over the backside trying to climb out the open window. And the look they gave me as they do this stuff is like... "Yep, you're back, but we're badder than ever... good luck handling us!" God it was horrible.. All day long.. They're like Gremlins, they just are up to no good all day long.... They'll play for a little bit, sit with a board book, but they're just plotting they're next move, tricking me into relaxing for a bit. Michelle had to have been in hell for the 10 days I was gone.. They take no mercy too. I'm sure they worked Michelle even harder, knowing she'd be weaker from a long day at the clinic.

And poor Maura, you have to constantly be fielding your position as damage controller that she gets nothing. Today, she came to me twice and said.... "Daddy, I want to do something good for me. " I'm not exactly sure what that implies, but i read it as, "daddy, I'm being neglected yet another morning while you try to control the babies, my brain is in need of something before it withers away into nothing.. "

As of last week, Maura is no longer at Tiny Bubbles Preschool. I think the overall size of the place and the fact that she was literally the only non-Botswana child out of 200 or so, was too much for her to handle as her first school experience.. So, we are trying to find a smaller school where she might feel a little less overwhelmed.


Nothing else to report, except that the kids are back in school and michelle and I are very excited for these next 2 terms, especially for Jacob. He has a wonderful teacher. This afternoon he tried out for the swim team, we'll find out where he stands in the next few days. He plans on trying out for the cricket team next week, is taking an afternoon course in Drama and Chess, and will also be learning to play the Marimbas. Later this year, he will be walking across the Salt Pans in Botswana, and camping in the wild to raise money for cancer patients here. Tomorrow, he visits a Hindu Temple and a Mosque in town, they are doing a major unit on world religions.

Kate's afternoon activities include gardening, team sports, ball skills, traditional dance, and swimming. How cool is that? Gardening... How to use elephant dung.
What a nice experience for them.... I hope.

All for now.. I hope to get video of Jacob in his cricket outfit, learning what a googly is and wearing a cricket box.... check out this website to brush up on your cricket terminology..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cricket_terms .... keep your fingers crossed he makes the team.