Friday, December 19, 2014

rain

It has rained twice in the last two days.. just enough to make it steamy and even more sweaty.. It seems like the drought may be over...

Yesterday I put a  stop to the blogging because a gentleman had knocked on our gate wanting to speak with me. His name is Ronard and I have purchased many baskets, mats, etc from him. They are handmade out of grass and they are quite nice. Anyway, he came to me asking to buy some mats and to borrow some money for materials. We talked for a bit and came to an agreement and as we were talking , he kept getting stranger and stranger.. complaining he was sick and short of breath,etc..  As soon as I handed him the money, his eyes rolled back in his head, he began to foam at the mouth and fell backwards, convulsing. Some people walking by stopped and walked over as I tried to position him so he wouldn't hurt himself. This was my first experience with a seizure and my immediate reaction was that this man was dying right before my eyes... some of the locals told me he "Had a disease and he would be better in 30 minutes..  One of them told me to get a plastic plat
e.. so I scrambled inside all the while wondering what the hell we were going to use a plastic plate for?? When I returned the men had moved Ronard to a safer place. When I handed him the plate, he just started to fan Ronard off.. I gave him a cup of water and he threw it on his face..

I called Michelle, she came, checked him over and it was concluded he was ok.. But he should go to the hospital.. But in Michelle's words.. "Not today, because the scanner is not working and it would be a waste of time"..

After about 45 minutes, Ronard came to, I gave him some bread and he was on his way.. As he was drinking his water, he looked at the plastic cup (a basic plastic cup that costs maybe 50 cents in the US ) and said he wants to buy a cup like this for his home and for his children.. He wanted to know how much it cost and where I bought it.. I told him he could take it home.. A plastic cup..

I have attached more photos from the trip only because I don't know what else to do with them...
I may eventually post some video of sunsets, sunrises, etc..

We have a Christmas party to attend this evening and it should be fun.. Tomorrow we prep for the coming of our son and Bob and Rebecca.. Looking forward to it.
Hope all is well at home.. Happy Friday everyone..
Kate Panorama #1 (view of Zambian border)

Kate Panorama #2.. 


another soccer field

way to Kazungu

Black Rock view of Zambian border


Elephant sighting on our walk... Maura's face says it all.. it's hot and bright!