Tuesday, December 2, 2014

home with a sick one...



I can't say that I'm upset for having to stay home today... it's kind of nice.. I am catching up on a few items  and enjoying a day at home.. 

 Life here is good..  Besides Michelle's crazy work schedule, me missing my job and our family and  friends, but there's something about this place that makes you feel alive. Probably because things seems so real here.. I'm not sure how to express this in writing..  People here have a vitality and a aura about them that is different from home. Just driving to school every morning is a moment.. You see so much going on around you that you can't help thinking... 1) where the hell am I ? and 2)   this place and its people are incredible...  When I think that we have it tough and are trying to balance things here on a day to day basis, I have to check myself and look around me.... 

SIDE NOTE--- one thing me and Michelle have realized being here is that for all of our faults and our quirkiness, we love being American.. We meet so many people from so many different parts of the world.. And I have truly felt proud to be where I'm from.. I'm not sure why.. This is a feeling much different than when we lived in Botswana.. Maybe it is age? I think I have come to appreciate our culture in general, our kindness to others and our ability to laugh at ourselves..  We are perceived as fat, greedy, over consuming , ignorant and somewhat needy.. But overall, we are kind... and not overly serious..  The kids and I play a game as we drive around town called "American Alert".. if we see someone who is 1) white 2)wearing something that looks like they bought it at the market 3) has a big backpack 4) is carrying a water bottle... we scream "American Alert"!!! We have no idea if they are American or not, but they fit all the criteria.

Being home today affords me an opportunity to talk to Rabina and get a sense of what happens around here when i'm gone.. I am realizing again that we are a wasteful lot..  for example, I went to throw away some crust from Maura's piece of toast.. but the garbage liner was gone... Rabina dumps the trash , washes the bag, dries it on the line and puts it back in the can..  she also does this with all of the small plastic bags we use.. We can't recycle here, so we sometimes throw things in a plastic bag and place it in the trash... She dumps the garbage, cleans the plastic bag and clips it to our kitchen curtains to dry..  The only time I've done anything like that is when I was too lazy to get in my car and go to the grocery store to get more liners.. Instead, I would fill Kroger bags with garbage, put those in the outside garbage can and reuse my liner.. only being more wasteful in the process.. 

We have asked the workers what they would like for Christmas.. with family coming in town and another visitor from children's Hospital arriving, we have an opportunity to have some things brought over for them..  Our guard Joseph would like backpacks for his children... for school. Rabina and Kam requested black school shoes for her children.. For Cosmas( he is single) I am going to help repair his bike and get him a portable CD player.. I bought him a country music CD the other day and he was so excited he could spit.. but he has no way to listen to it, so I'll have to get him something.. I am also hoping to take family portraits for all of them as well.. 

My kids want iTunes gift cards, legos and comic books. I'd like the complete series of MASH.. puts things in perspective.. 

Last night we were able to go shopping for Christmas decorations.. Where else would you go in Lilongwe but "Santa Plaza"... it actually is pretty awesome store because they kind of have everything.. sort of like a mini walmart... without all the people.. best of all, they take VISA, one of a handful of shops that do that.. As we got out of the truck, one of the kids asked if we could buy something, Kate said "sure we can, they take Visa!".. she was right.. we bought a fake tree, some ornaments, lights , a giant santa face and a few other knick knacks.. We hope to decorate in the next few days..  When you are here and there's nothing to do except hang out in your home surrounded by a wall.. going to the store to get decorations was a big deal for the kids! 

All for now.. photo below is of a young boy (probably jude's age) waiting for someone to pick him up.. He was at the "petrol station".. he's wearing a classic school uniform that all children wear to school here.. They vary in different colors and patterns for each school.. Just like catholic schools at home.. the other photos include a broken down bus.. these are the busses that everyone takes in this country.. they are always full with people barreling down the road, usually teetering to one side or the other.. riding tires that look like they are about to bust.. The other photo is a group of women on the side of the road selling mangoes, avocados, litchis , apples and bananas.. i bought some airtime for my phone.. as I walked up, they grabbed my hand, shot me a smile and asked .. "how are  you my friend?" i respond in broker Chichewa... "ndilibwino" which means I am well.. Not even sure if i spelled it correctly.. Happy tuesday. 

waiting at the gas station


buying airtime for my phone

Santa Plaza!