Thursday, May 29, 2008

Jib Jab ,mural and groceries




Apparently the headmaster of Jacob and Kate's school loves the mural and doesn't want me to touch it anymore.. So, I think I'm finished.. I've left my mark on Botswana.... it was a lot of fun to do the mural,, the kids would come out at break, munch on snacks and ask me all kinds of questions about the piece..Basically, it's a 3 panel mural consisting of renditions of old paintings of mine that the headmaster chose...


It's at the entrance of the school, and looks pretty good.


I've attached a photo of the finished piece.


I went to gabane again this morning to take photos, and am realizing that my slight knowledge of the language is helping me get to know people a little better. I think people are surprised that you even know how to say the greetings.. A man was shocked and told me that most people just assume that if you're white you're from South Africa, and they think that most white South Africans don't make any attempt to learn the language.. Granted, I can't get past the greeting, but it helps...


One thing I thought I'd do with the blog was show you some of our favorite items to eat/use here.. Today's entry is Simba chips(salt and vinegar). These things are awesome, cost about a buck a bag and are addictive. they don't sell septic tank sized soft drinks here nor do they sell family sized bags of goodies, so I have to buy several at a time to get my fix.....

I know this is exciting stuff here... so to make it even more exciting, I've attached a photo of my favorite cereal.... It is awesome as well, maura and i are the only ones that eat it... It's like a lightly sugared cheerios... so , you don't feel unhealthy eating them. They are called O'tees....

One last thing I thought I'd leave you with today is a "jib jab" that was sent to us by Tom Meyer... Thanks Tom!!!! It's funny, and it makes me look good..

I hope you can open it...
Another beautiful day here weather wise... if you're getting bored with my entries, i understand and i'm sorry.. michelle has promised to write one soon, to update you on her work and Jacob has probmised to write one about his trip to South Africa.. He swam with sharks, saw moray eels, went ice skating, etc... so we'll see. But for now you have to live with me.. and my groceries.