Thursday, January 15, 2009

notes for january 15.. i think




As I write this, I can't remember what day it is.. I know it's Thursday.. I know there are ways for me to check the date, but I'm too lazy to do it, the kids are peaceful, so I'm going to use the time to write..

Now, it's been a month and a half since I've been back.. My mom is getting stronger and is scheduled for surgery for her hands next week. She looks great, seems to be in good spirits and physically looks healthy.It's great to see considering most people we've talked to say people don't normally recover from such a serious illness.

We(my family) are doing well. Adjusting, looking for a house and busy with school. Jacob is doing homework all day and trying to catch up to his classmates.. He's handling it well. Although, just last week he said he wanted to move back to Botswana.... I took it with a grain of salt. Kate is Kate, which is what I always say about her.. She rolls with it and seems to be loving being back at home. She misses her friends from Botswana, but has adapted to her new school so easily it seems as if she didn't miss a beat. She has her first basketball game on Friday night, joined the Brownies and signed up for spring soccer.

Michelle and i are doing well. There isn't an hour of the day my mind doesn't wander back to Botswana... I'm sure Michelle is going through the same thing.. maybe worse. I have a feeling it will be like this until we go back again.... which I really hope we do. But, things here are going well.

I think i have gained some weight as I'm having a hard time saying no to almost anything since we've been back..

Twins are great, enjoying cousins and taking drives where there are things to see... like buildings, trucks and vans... I don't know, Jude just really likes to go for drives.... I think our trekking them across southern Africa for hours upon hours with nothing to do really gave them patience with being in the car...

I miss Celeste and her friendship.. She and I probably spent the most time together during our time in Africa... She was a friend/ daughter/ nanny, etc... I miss her for obvious reasons, but just our daily conversations and her wonderful smile is what I miss most. My kids miss her as well... When we see black skinned people in town(a rare sight) Jude always does a second take.. I know Jacob misses Celeste, she was a great friend and role model for him..

I think that's it.. It's -12F here today, so I think I'll clean my mom's house.. No reason to step outside.. the coffee is nice this morning and my kids are still playing well together.. no, no that's over....

Here are some photos from our marathon experience....the one where you can see off into the distance, I am the white guy with the white shirt and blue shorts.. kind of dead center of the photo..

No much else to say today.. just doing everything I can to stay inside..